The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about
Default What would be your choice of flies at a mountain lake

I'm taking my son up to the grand mesa, ceder mesa lake...browns, Bows, and Cutt's....the lake is about 10,000 feet above sea level.....lots of mosquitoes....what would you tie up for your fly box?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: What would be your choice of flies at a mountain lake

On my last two trips to 12,000 lakes in June black beadhead zebra midges #14, Ptails, and GRHE also #14 produced well. I'm doing another this Saturday and have added some damsel fly nymphs. A report I read yesterday said foam ants are working on the surface too.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't go wrong with some smaller Wooly Buggers in black and olive, as well as parachute Adams in grey and olive in sizes 16 and 14, along with the venerable Renegade in sizes 16 and 14.

Kelly.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:01 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

tanks...my son and i are already tying......9 days and counting
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The question that you should be asking yourself is what kinds of biomass do these fish eat?

The high percentage trout bugs in lakes are Callibaetis mayflies and chironomids.

Convection currents can blow in ants, gnats, and lady bugs from the lower elevations.

Keep in mind that fish, frogs, and tadpoles are fair game.

I would tie flies based off of my best guess on what the available food sources are.

MP
Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Wooly Buggers. After that something with rubber legs. One that I haven't tried but will next time on a lake is a callibaetis nymph.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:09 AM

theyiman will become famous soon enough

I used to frequent high alpine lakes quite a bit and did a lot of research into how to fish them. Two patterns I would not go up to these places without would be: dry - a good black ant pattern and nymph - an orange scud. These are my go-to flies up high if I don't know what's going on.

Gary Lafontaine has a really great book about fishing alpine lakes, I just can't remember the name of it now. As well as John Gierach's Flyfishing the High Country.

Good luck, I'm living in TN these days and long for the day I can move back to the West where I have high lakes within a quick drive/hike.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

My son and his buddies hiked into a high mountain lake near the Island Park area of Idaho and started and fisnished the day with a black bugger. Not knowing what to use this is really a perfect searching fly for those type waters.

Here are some pics of what they caught and what they caught them with:

Click the image to open in full size.

Good luck, and let us know how you do and what flies worked best.

Kelly.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

At high alpine mountain lakes, fish aren't picky. The have a short growing season and will scarf down just about anything that looks like food.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

My only high mountain lake experience is in RMNP. Typically go June/July during runoff.

For drys, my go-to flys are griffith's gnat, para adams, orange asher, and black foam ant. Typically sizes 18-22.

I don't typically use subsurface in June/July b/c the dries work so well. Can't beat the dry-fly sight fishing all day long.

-Paul