The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Still Water

Just curious how you stillwater fisherman would fish this lake. It's hatchery supported and the shores are littered with worm dunkers. There are feeder creeks with wild trout populations that move into the lake sometime and I'm sure there are some big bruisers holdovers in there. My dad once saw a big brown take a chunk out of a 14 inch bow in here. Thanks in advance.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Still Water

Depends on the depth of the lake, the terrain, water temp, water temp at the inlets.
Where is the lake located at?
Knowing where the dropoffs are, what insects are along the shore line, boat docks, outhouses etc.
Local reports are one of the best ways to find out how to fish it. Use the internet and find local forums. Get a sonar.
So many questions with just little information.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:08 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Depends on the depth of the lake, the terrain, water temp, water temp at the inlets.
Where is the lake located at?
Knowing where the dropoffs are, what insects are along the shore line, boat docks, outhouses etc.
Local reports are one of the best ways to find out how to fish it. Use the internet and find local forums. Get a sonar.
So many questions with just little information.

What he said!

MP
Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.

But, if I were to launch, I would definitely want my sonar. I would carry three rods (cause I HATE changing in the middle of a lake....cost me an expensive reel and line)

One rod loaded with Depth Charge or a Type VII (very fast sinking) one rod loaded with an Intermediate or a Type II is there was a breeze, and finally, a floating line with a 30' leader and my slip indicators.

I will find them, oh yes......I will find them!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Joni
Can you explain how you would fish that 30' leader and your slip indicator?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I use a floating line with a loop in the end. I then pre measure 30' of P-Line Fluorocarbon 6 lb. (my choice).
I put a perfection loop in the end of the P-Line and attach it to the fly line.
I slide the styro egg on, then the plastic peg (this way the indicator doesn't slide over smaller flies)
At this point, I will either add a tag or the Gamakatsu Dropper Bead.
I will then attach a bugger, nymph, or a chironomid on the bottom or the end of the 30'. I set the tag or dropper bead so that the next fly is 12" to 20" above the bottom fly.

I will sometimes add BB 6" up from bottom fly if I need them to sink faster.

With Sonar, if it reads 28' deep , I set the indicator at 27'.

This is done by taking end, pulling it straight out with my left arm and to my right ear (that is 36") You have to find your own yard.
Mark that spot with either a little piece of backing (small enough to go through guides with no worries) or even a little strike putty.

Drop the fly down between legs and kick back. Very relaxing and fun, specially when it is really on.

If they are hitting the dropper, then maybe slide the indicator down a foot...or it could be the fly choice. I have even caught doubles in great holes.

I say two flies because that is all we are allowed here in Utah, but some states you could add more. A great way to find the Zone.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:52 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Pay close attention, all. Joni and Mojo are the experts in this area and we can learn a lot from what they have combined in know-how and on-the-water experience. Joni's Deep Water Indicator is revolutionary in my book in allowing fly anglers to fish small flies at depth rather than just stripping the fly.
Anyway, just my 2-cents. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Kelly.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Pay close attention, all. Joni and Mojo are the experts in this area and we can learn a lot from what they have combined in know-how and on-the-water experience. Joni's Deep Water Indicator is revolutionary in my book in allowing fly anglers to fish small flies at depth rather than just stripping the fly.
Anyway, just my 2-cents. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Kelly.
Kelly: That is for sure, I printed out Joni's detailed instructions and I'm going to give it a try the next time I'm on the lake.

Larry
Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the tips.