Small Stream Nirvana

mysticm

Reaction score
I took the family to a nearby National Park over the Easter week-end. As a belated B'day present, my wife granted me a 1 day pass for unlimited fishing :) Here are a few pictures that are representative of the day. After the first few fish pictures, I decided to put away the camera and focus on hitting the right spots on the stream & ensuring that I did not snag in the trees on the back cast.

I had tied a variety of dry, nymph and wet flies for the trip & was hoping that the patterns I had tied would work. As I found out the fish really took a liking to a few patterns and I had a wonderful time guiling the native rainbows into tasting my offerings.

I learned a few valuable lessons during the day's fishing session - (1) a rod that allows casting off its tip & with a medium to slow action makes the experience more enjoyable. I alternated between my superfine 4wt and Winston WT 2wt and found the Winston's action more appropriate. (2) don't wade and cast at the same time. I have a swollen left knee as a result of doing this :( (3) I found that a more neutral (olive) line color was more effective than a brighter (Peachy orange) one.

Almost all the rainbows hit the Stimulator (afternoon) & BHPT (morning). I had a few that went after a parachute adams pattern. It was so cool seeing the fish rising from the depth to hit the dries. The speed with which they take the fly is unbelievable. I had to always be ready to set the hook instantaneously...otherwise they would bolt after tasting the hook.

All in all, a fantastic experience that was capped with my 4 y.o. landing her first little rainbow (w help from Daddy) on a fly rod.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Looks like a beautiful day out with the family, and that's really awesome about your girl catching her first rainbow!

I really like the first fish photo as well, it's a unique angle/way of holding the fish and it looks great!

mrl0004

Reaction score
Wait a second, when I get married I have to get a pass to fish!? :eek: You guys aren't exactly talking me into making the plunge just yet! :D

Nice report!

mysticm

Reaction score
Wait a second, when I get married I have to get a pass to fish!? :eek: You guys aren't exactly talking me into making the plunge just yet! :D

Nice report!

Too funny! Its the kids that get in the way of having fun, not the wife :) My wife is an avid flyfisher but our two toddlers have put a damper on her fishing activities.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Stl_Geoff, Its not in Ohio...unfortunately. I am not aware of any streams in Ohio that contain wild rainbows.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Beautiful stream, and just gorgeous little rainbows! Man those are pretty fish. Congrats on the hall-pass and for using it appropriately. I've promised my little girl that we will fish together this year, when she's 4. I hope to teach her to row by the time she's 10, then I'll be all set!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Stl_Geoff, Its not in Ohio...unfortunately. I am not aware of any streams in Ohio that contain wild rainbows.
Ah....so is it in KY or IN? I have a couple friends who live in Springfield/urbana and we'll be up to visit sometime this July I think. I know I plan atleast to hit the mad river, might even go bother Mike Schmidt for alittle bit.

dean_mt

Reaction score
That ain't in Indiana, and if it is, I take back all the bad things I've ever said about the Hoosier state!

mysticm

Reaction score
Dean, Thanks for the kind words. It was fun watching our 4 y.o.'s eyes light up after getting the rainbow on the fly. I am sure you will have a terrific experience enjoying the sport with your little one.

Stl_Geoff, Send me a PM and I will suggest some good spots on the Mad. I have fished it a couple of times & since you are visiting, I don't see any problems sharing a good hole or two :)

hillbilly rick

Reaction score

Nice report!
Hey, don't sweat yet. The other day my wife told me I need to go fishin' and fill the freezer:D. With my luck that'll take all summer:eek: maybe that's her plan.
I get to take my 5year old grandson fishin' Saturday at my friend's lake. He is the definition of excitable boy.

blueduds

Reaction score
Wow thats beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I love the underwater photo. my fishing buddy has a waterproof camera and he took a couple of pics of a 5 inch brown underwater and the fish looked HUGE, very entertaining.

curtis steinhauer

Reaction score
Those Rainbows are Gorgeous. Gotta love the stimulator! Out here is Western Washington we get two parts of the year where that's the only fly that works!