The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Small Stream Nirvana

I took the family to a nearby National Park over the Easter week-end. As a belated B'day present, my wife granted me a 1 day pass for unlimited fishing Here are a few pictures that are representative of the day. After the first few fish pictures, I decided to put away the camera and focus on hitting the right spots on the stream & ensuring that I did not snag in the trees on the back cast.

Click the image to open in full size.

I had tied a variety of dry, nymph and wet flies for the trip & was hoping that the patterns I had tied would work. As I found out the fish really took a liking to a few patterns and I had a wonderful time guiling the native rainbows into tasting my offerings.

I learned a few valuable lessons during the day's fishing session - (1) a rod that allows casting off its tip & with a medium to slow action makes the experience more enjoyable. I alternated between my superfine 4wt and Winston WT 2wt and found the Winston's action more appropriate. (2) don't wade and cast at the same time. I have a swollen left knee as a result of doing this (3) I found that a more neutral (olive) line color was more effective than a brighter (Peachy orange) one.

Almost all the rainbows hit the Stimulator (afternoon) & BHPT (morning). I had a few that went after a parachute adams pattern. It was so cool seeing the fish rising from the depth to hit the dries. The speed with which they take the fly is unbelievable. I had to always be ready to set the hook instantaneously...otherwise they would bolt after tasting the hook.

All in all, a fantastic experience that was capped with my 4 y.o. landing her first little rainbow (w help from Daddy) on a fly rod.
Davo, madjoni, cattech89 and 1 others like this.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Small Stream Nirvana

Looks like a beautiful day out with the family, and that's really awesome about your girl catching her first rainbow!

I really like the first fish photo as well, it's a unique angle/way of holding the fish and it looks great!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great pictures, great report, beautiful stream!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Excellent looking stream and photos. What park in OH was it? i think i'll get to fish it some in July.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Wait a second, when I get married I have to get a pass to fish!? You guys aren't exactly talking me into making the plunge just yet!

Nice report!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
Wait a second, when I get married I have to get a pass to fish!? You guys aren't exactly talking me into making the plunge just yet!

Nice report!

Too funny! Its the kids that get in the way of having fun, not the wife My wife is an avid flyfisher but our two toddlers have put a damper on her fishing activities.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Stl_Geoff, Its not in Ohio...unfortunately. I am not aware of any streams in Ohio that contain wild rainbows.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:04 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Beautiful stream, and just gorgeous little rainbows! Man those are pretty fish. Congrats on the hall-pass and for using it appropriately. I've promised my little girl that we will fish together this year, when she's 4. I hope to teach her to row by the time she's 10, then I'll be all set!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Stl_Geoff, Its not in Ohio...unfortunately. I am not aware of any streams in Ohio that contain wild rainbows.
Ah....so is it in KY or IN? I have a couple friends who live in Springfield/urbana and we'll be up to visit sometime this July I think. I know I plan atleast to hit the mad river, might even go bother Mike Schmidt for alittle bit.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That ain't in Indiana, and if it is, I take back all the bad things I've ever said about the Hoosier state!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Allegheny National Forest in PA maybe?