The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 PM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough
Default Idaho Dry Fly Fun...in April!

So my buddy and I found ourselves with 2 days off together and a hankering to find some rising fish, as the winter was long and the thingamabobber needed a break. So we headed up to Ashton, ID to search the Warm River and the Henry's Fork. Upon arrival at the Warm, we were greeted to the sound of rising fish as we suited up. Then I noticed a lot of bugs all around. Damn, they look like caddis!
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's my first fly:

We set out to catch as many as we could on the dry. This stretch has brookies, rainbows, browns, whitefish, and cutbows. I caught every species but a brookie on the dry. We fished from 12pm til about 6:30 pm and landed around 60 fish.

This is a major tributary for the Henry's Fork of the Snake, and is spring fed for the most part due to one of the largest volcanic aquifer in the country. It is just as much a bug factory as the fabled Henry's Fork, the fish just don't get as large. A 16-17" fish here is about the max, but with a 3 wt, it is a hoot and a half.

and a marmot stopped by!

twas a great day!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Idaho Dry Fly Fun...in April!

Glad to see you got out for some fun on the water. Nice report and great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 PM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road

Nice pictures. This spring certainly is ahead of schedule.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a fun day. Catching them on a dry fly is awesome...even more so when so many of them are beguiled by the offering. What happened to the fish in the second last picture...looks like it has a couple of gashes on its side.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:06 PM

I am guessing he was almost nabbed by an osprey or that marmot. Ole whitefish are abundantly stupid, it seems. or maybe i am!

I did also find a huge half-eaten carp, which i have never seen in this area. Maybe a fish toted him from one of the local lakes? I would say this guy was 5 lbs or so. I don't take pictures of dead things tho.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Glad to hear the fish are biting in Idaho. I've got an Idaho fly fishing trip planned for mid July. Hopefully I'm as fortunate as you. SF
Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Fun. What a great way to chase off the winter doldrums!

Here in Lower Southeast Idaho all of the rivers are starting to blow chocolate brown. I am looking forward to some good dryflying on the streams when the runoff goes down.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a good time. Nice looking fish.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a great day on the water, congrats. Interesting that you were seeing Caddis flies out this early. Last week while out fishing in Wyoming I spotted some Caddis nymphs which I thought was early, but then we have been having a really warm spring this year.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 PM

I know. My buddy had been up there on Monday of last week saying the mother's day caddis was on, but i reallly had to see it myself. Massive waves of caddis ( several thousand ) when the sun would peek out and the wind would settle. I got some great video of it. Also saw some larger mayflies sz 16 (march browns?), but they were few and far between.

The only other hatch i can remember out here that was that in the last two years was on Flat Creek. Grey Drakes in sz 12 so thick i needed to put my mouth and nose in my shirt to breathe. But that is such a more technical water to fish than the warm. Only one fish that day!