The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road
Default Can I fish for trout with a 7wt?

Howdy,
I normally fish for bass and bluegill, I have a TFO 9' 7wt rod with SA 7wt weight forward bass taper line. A friend of mine asked me to go trout fishing next weekend. I've only been fly fishing for a few months and I'm not sure if I'll be able to cast small enough flies with my setup. I think I could just change the tippet and leader. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-22-2012, 06:44 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can I fish for trout with a 7wt?

Rick,of course you can use your 7Wt if that's what you have however as you said you will have to use Finer & longer Leaders/Tipits,you will find most Fishermen at some time have upstaged to heavier Rods to target bigger fish & have still caught small fish on them whilst in the process,I know I have.
So go for it,Good Luck.
Brian.
hillbilly rick likes this.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If you're nymphing with weight and indicators you might be fine casting. If you casting size 18 dries on 6x you might have some presentation problems. Call a fly shop to see if they rent gear. Places around here rent a rod, reel, and line for pretty cheap.
hillbilly rick likes this.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Rick, a 7 wt will not be ideal for tiny dry flies, certainly not midges if you need to go that small. You can use it for small wet flies, & nymphs or streamers. I would say going smaller than a size 10 (maybe 12) would probably not be practical with it.

I know a fellow who uses a 7 wt often for streamers on trout streams, but he uses rather larges flies tied on size 6 to 2 size hooks. It's still a bit early for large terrestrials too, but again, that 7 wt could work well for large hopper or Stonefly patterns, especially the big foam flies.

Changing the leader & tippet can help, but it's still a 7 wt & will not be as "delicate" as a lighter wt line if you need it to be.

You may not know who Joe Brooks was, but I remember reading a story where he selected a "Blonde" streamer to fish a western trout stream for large trout. This was in a river where large dry flies were usually used. The Blonde series of flies, were intended for saltwater species. yet, Joe caught many large trout on them. He did the same in Argentina from what I've read.

My point is, since you have the 7 wt, why not just prepare to use it properly, with streamers & larger surface flies, rather than try to do something with it it's not really well suited to do. Trout eat those things too & it may be you'll do fine, especially if where you'll be fishing is a sizable river.

Think of it like fishing for Smallmouths instead of trout!

(Darn, I think I heard a couple of dry fly guys fainted when I posted this!)
hillbilly rick and theboz like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 04-23-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
If you're nymphing with weight and indicators you might be fine casting. If you casting size 18 dries on 6x you might have some presentation problems. Call a fly shop to see if they rent gear. Places around here rent a rod, reel, and line for pretty cheap.
Can I get gear for left handers? Just kiddin', I'll be at a trout park so I think that may be an option.
I really need to educate myself on the numerical sizing of flies. I have no idea how big an 18 would be. I fished for trout about 25 yrs. ago at the park and went up to the desk saw a fly a friend told me would work, bought a few, tied 'em on my ultra light w/2lb test mono and 2 BB split shots about 3' up the line and had a blast. I wonder if they'll have a beginner's area.
Thanks for your quick replies.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you are now in a situation that warrants yourself to start building a rod quiver. Have fun on your trip.

Dennis
Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 PM

bigjim, delicate is my middle name, oh wait a minute,no, it's any thing but. I'll look up some streamers and see what I have, and I think I have some hoppers. The friend that invited me just started tying so I'll see if he can tie some up for me just a bit bigger. Heck if I do as well as with smb, I'll come home with an empty stringer.
I've never fly fished with others within a mile of me and this place is elbow to elbow this time of year. Would it be advisable to pin a big BEGINNER sign on my back. Nah they'll figger it out before they get close enough to read it.
Mosca pescador, No, no rod quiver.
I'm sure I'll have fun, should I get a liability policy for the fisherman around me, or is it an assumed risk??
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly rick View Post
Can I get gear for left handers? Just kiddin', I'll be at a trout park so I think that may be an option.
Probably actually. I'm a lefty, just ask for 'right hand retrieve' and they might have a 4 or 5wt reel set-up I always ask. Size 18 is pretty small compared to bass, but then they'll hand you a size 22 or 24... Fun fishing though. Enjoy!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 PM

Thanks williamhj, that's something to consider or I could strip the line out and turn the reel around and reel it back in.
4 or 5wt, I'd like to try that, I just may need that rod quiver.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Rick, I see your in MO and will be at a park? which one? eitherway, micro jigs fish real well in the park and unless there is a major hatch they, and glo balls should fish just fine. Plus I've seen some huge fish in the parks that you might be able to convince with streamers too..

BTW, I have an eight weight that i fish with more for trout than bass.