Backpacking and Fly Fishing The Smokies (Pic Heavy)

possessed

Reaction score
Oldman (a friend from another forum) and I just returned from a 2 night backpacking trip in the GSMNP. After some heavy recent rains the streams were very full and flowing very fast. However, we managed to catch pretty good numbers of fish and had a very good time. We both fished a dry/dropper, catching plenty of fish on both the dry and the nymph.

Wading was tough, to say the least. We spent a lot of time belly crawling and bushwacking through the laurel and rhodo thickets as high fast water made moving upstream impossible in many areas.

We saw plenty of bear scat, but the only wild animals we encountered were turkeys.

Oldman fighting the high and fast water.

The reward, speckled jewels.

Oldman fishing one of the few calm runs we found.

Despite the high water, it was a beautiful day to be in the outdoors.

Yellow sally.

Combat fishing at it's finest.

possessed

Reaction score
After fighting and clawing for about 4 hours, we decided to head back to camp for the evening, eat dinner, and sit around the campfire telling fishing lies.

The next morning we hiked a bit to fish a different stream. The water was still high and fast, but it was much lower than yesterday.

Some how this poplar managed to not get logged back in the day. It was huge compared to other trees in the area.

Belly crawling through the rhodo and laurel thickets.

After about 6 hours of fishing, we were tired. All the bushwacking. belly crawling, and fighting the strong water had worn us out. Considering the conditions, we had a pretty decent day.

A delicious backcountry dinner of campfire roasted trout and freeze dried meals awaits.

The hike out.

It was a good trip, we had much fun. I do wish the water had been a tad lower, but we can't control Mother Nature.

mysticm

Reaction score
Terrific pictures and trip. Reminds me of my recent trip there. Would you be open to sharing (via PM) the where you camped? I am planning a camping trip back to the Smokies and trying to figure out which backcountry site I should reserve. Thanks

stimulator2

Reaction score
Looks like you had a good trip with all the rain we had last week the water has been really high . I fished Indian cr. (palmer cr. to the park) couple weeks ago before the rains and done well, looks like you was at the TG Place up there. That was a great report...

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Great report! I fished the TN side last year, had a great time. I love the Gatlinburg area.