The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM

fredthefishhead is on a distinguished road
Default Light weight waders

My boys and I will be backpacking the John Muir Trail this summer, and I am looking for a pair of super light weight waders. I'm OK wearing thermals and socks under them, but am really looking for something under 1 pound without the neopreem booties but still water tight. Anything out there you guys can suggest? I haven't done too well looking online.
Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Light weight waders

Hi Fred,

Do these have to be chest waders? For the most packable and lightest I would be leaning toward the hip or waist style waders. I just saw a selection at Mountain View Sports when I was in Anchorage last week but didn't check the makers. I think Orvis, Simms, and Patagonia all make these. Try Cabela's also they may be the best price.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to have a look at the Orvis Sonic Seam waders in either chest or waist high. They are very lightweight and make for comfortable warmer weather fishing. They seem durable enough and pack down smaller than anything I've ever owned. Pretty sure Redington uses Orvis' technology on their version as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

+1 to Jaybo's suggestion. I also use the Orvis Sonicseams and they are very lightweight, I've even used them in the middle of winter with the proper layering.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

There were some companies making waders with fabric booties a few years back, but I think they all abandoned the idea. Now some are doing convertible hipper/bootfoots, Chota and Cabela's offer versions. On the JMT you will probably not need anything more than waist highs, and in addition to the aforementioned brands, look at the LLBean Emergers as well. milt.