The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Looking to get a new rod

So im looking to upgrade my rod. Im leaning on 7'6" - 8'6" in either 3 or 4 wt, with 8' 4wt as the one im really looking at. My question is, is there anything to worry about as far as length of the rod in correlation to the wt? I will be fishing mainly smaller streams and smaller rivers for trout. I have a 5/6 8' for something a little bigger. Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM

laska is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking to get a new rod

I just switched from a 8'6" 6wt to a 6' 3wt and wont ever go back for small stream trout, so far fish up to 12" are well handled with my rod. I have the Avid series St Scroix, pure awesome is all I can say about it.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

a 7'6" 3wt does sound tempting! Im hoping for a fathers day/birthday trip to Owatanna cabelas again!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I second the 7'6" 3wt. Since you've got the 5/6wt already I don't think the 4wt would be a large enough step down for you. I know its not for me.
That's just an opinion though. You know your fishing destinations better than I.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

7'6" 3wt TFO pro has totally changed dry fly fishing for me... such a nice touch. Perfect for the 12" class. Surprisingly powerful when you get a bend in the rod.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Just my preference, but I tried 3wts and gave them up. I've got a couple of soft 4wts and a couple of stiffer 4wts that I like for small streams. I've got 4wts down to 7' and I prefer them over 3wts of the same length. My favorite 4wt is a 7'6" Winston WT which is a soft action full flex rod. It lights up with 6in brookies, and hauls in 12" fish without too much trouble. 16" rainbow puts up a serious fight on this rod...found that out a couple of weeks ago. I've just found that a medium action 4wt will do just about anything that a 3wt will do, and cast a streamer if need be...or hopper, or nymph. All of these things become very difficult (at least for me) with a 3 wt.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure exactly where you are fishing but I'll assume you're talking spring creeks for trout given that you are located in MN. If I had to take only one rod with me for streams in your region, I'd take my 8'6-4. A 3wt, while fun is not quite as practical as a 4 and a 5/6wt is just too much rod for me for small trout streams. Not to say they don't have their use though. The 4wt will let you get into throwing smaller streamers, nymph rigs, soft hackles and drys and serve you very well.

While the 3wt will give you more of a diversified quiver I think you'll be missing out on the more practical rod. Medium-Medium fast will serve you well on spring creeks.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

My small stream rod is a 6.5' 2wt. The shorter length is an asset in brushy, tight quarters. There is no need for anything heavier for trout in those waters. I've caught fish up to 5 pounds on it.

Some think that it will take too long to land a large fish on a light rod, but it doesn't take any longer than on a 6wt. When you are using 5x tippet, you can't use all of a heavier rod's strength. In fact, you are more likely to break the fish off with a heavier rod. A light rod is more forgiving. I prefer to match my rod to the tippet that I plan to use, not necessarily to the size of the fish.

Besides, 2wts are WAY more fun than heavier rods anyway.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 PM

i fish smaller freestone creeks, and there is one river that is a bit bigger, but most creeks are anywhere from 6' to 15' wide. My fly box consists of mainly dries and nymphs size 12-20. Ive never really thrown a streamer, tried a bugger once with no luck. But i plan to give them a whirl again! So....i am limited to the size of fly i throw using a 3 wt, and have more options with the 4wt by still being able to throw the smaller flies, plus the bigger ones and bigger streamers? sound right?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
i fish smaller freestone creeks, and there is one river that is a bit bigger, but most creeks are anywhere from 6' to 15' wide. My fly box consists of mainly dries and nymphs size 12-20. Ive never really thrown a streamer, tried a bugger once with no luck. But i plan to give them a whirl again! So....i am limited to the size of fly i throw using a 3 wt, and have more options with the 4wt by still being able to throw the smaller flies, plus the bigger ones and bigger streamers? sound right?
My favorite stream is about 20' wide on the average, and I really planned on fishing caddis, sulphers, etc on monday...the fish had a different idea. I was catching fish on the dries, but I tied on a streamer and it just set them off!!! I had 10 fish on about 15 casts....I would have never tried it on a 3 wt, and if I did I would have probably foul hooked my hat or my back or something worse!

I would say that my favorite rod is the 8' 4wt for trout versatility, but even that is probably too long if you really are fishing 6' -15' wide streams. 6'6" 3 or 4 wt would be alot of fun on those streams; the short length also might keep you out of the back-cast gremlin bushes.

And yes, you will be limited with ANY rod choice. A 3 wt will make more difficult to throw streamers or big hair bugs, and forget double nymph rigs (all of these I do with my 4 wts). A 5wt will make it hard to give delicate presentations...there's always a tradeoff. That's why I LOVE my 4wt, big enough to toss ANYTHING that you usually use for trout, and small enough to toss a 22 on 6x and make it land without a splash.