The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tbblom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Perfect day on private water

I got to fish the Sylvan Dale guest ranch yesterday. I spent all day at Mother lake and caught 15 fish between 18-24". My first time there I worked my tail off to catch two... So I was pretty darn happy. I spent all afternoon in a belly boat, and needless to say, I am hooked and will be buying one soon. I've never been so sore from fishing...
Streamers, crayfish, and chironomids were on the menu all day, and even caught a brown off the top with a hopper. Managed to straighten a few hooks, and only broke off one fish(the biggest I'm sure!)

Long old Donaldson steelhead, almost to the armpit!
Click the image to open in full size.
Same fish:
One of two browns caught, they were skinnier than the bows:
Beautiful kype jawed rainbow full of color:
'Typical' mother lake trout:

Special thanks to rocky mountain anglers for organizing the event. Thanks to Brian and Jesse for being great hosts too. Had a blast fishing with you guys.
TB
Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perfect day on private water

Looks like it was a fun time! I really do have to start looking for some sort of amphibious assault vehicle for my fishing adventures

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've never used a tube / belly boat, I guess if I had a great day like you did I would be in one a lot. I think about it every year but with the pontoon boats and the river boat it seems like there are enough choices already. I know that a tube would be the ticket for still water when we have too much rain and the rivers are up. I haul a pontoon to a local lake with the snowmobile trailer and fish that way but any wind at all and it's not so much fun. All of your time is spent trying to stay put even if you drop the anchor. The tubes are cool because you can use your feet to control while still having hands free for fishing, not so with oars.............

Nice,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 PM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road

Wow, nice fish dude! Sounds like fun. Is it hard to cast from the belly boat?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Actually not too hard to cast from the boat, and you can always kick closer if need be. With the wind at your back some long casts are pretty easy. I used a 9'6" 7wt from the boat, kind of a heavy rod, but there are 30"+ rainbows in that lake. Even the 20"ers were putting a good bend in the rod and spinning me around in the boat.
Setting the hook in the boat takes a very decisive pull, as the boat 'gives' a little. Also, you can't just rip your line hand down to your side to set the hook because of the back rest and the tube. I missed a few while dialing in the shorter set. Keeping the rod tip low was key. Can't wait to do it again.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 PM

stormcrow is on a distinguished road

Mother Lake at Sylvan Dale is great. They've really built themselves an incredible fishery there. I fished the property on June 1 and had great success with damsel nymphs early in the day and then various dark colored buggers in the afternoon. Largest fish for me was 25 inch rainbow but another fellow I was fishing with that afternoon caught a 30 inch rainbow that was just ridiculous!

I've also fished Island Lake on that property as well as the Big Thompson river through the main ranch. What a beautiful piece of property they have and it is so well maintained and managed. I only wish it wasn't quite so expensive to fish there.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sylvan Dale guest ranch looks like a great place to fish on the Front Ranch. Congrats on the great looking fish!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Perfect day on private water

Congratulations on that great day and all those 18 plus inch fish. I lived in Colorado and bought a Bucks bag and started fishing Spinney Reservoir with it and from 1992 to 1996 I had many days with 20+ fish over 18 inches and a few 40 fish days. It will spoil you rotten and if you have good trout lake near you and you aren't fishing some sort of float boat like a belly boat or pontoon float boat you are missing a great time.