The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Mnflyfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Im so proud!

so took my 12 year old son down to the creek, and he caught one....his second time out, and first trout on the fly.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I bought him a Pflueger 5/6 wt 8' with a medalist reel for his birthday last month. It was rather funny, he gets these twists in his line, not sure why, but was trying to unravel that when i saw the fish hit his fly. well there wasnt much i could do about it. so kept at the line. It was still on when we got unraveled, so he fought it and wore it out and landed it.
Davo, caseywise, joebloe and 1 others like this.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Im so proud!

What better way to "pay it forward", than to teach your son how to fish! I just wish that I had been fly-fishing when my son's were learning.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-12-2012, 09:28 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Greatest feeling there is! Only thing better than fishing is having your son or daughter getting that first on the fly! Congratulations! Savor the moment, been there 4 times and it never gets old.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Congrats! And as far as the twists, have someone hold on to the end of the fly line where you attach the leader and pull from the reel/rod end while pointing the rod at the holder. This will stretch the line and likely get rid of some of that memory that may be causing those twists. It will also help with casting and being in connection with the tip of the line for detecting strikes.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

congrats on the fine day

casey

ARFE
Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

It's nice to see you taking your Son & Teaching him to Flyfish,it's good to see him catching Fish,like us all he is having his Teething problems,don't get disapointed when he catches more Fish than you do as that's the way it usually is as the younger ones really get Keen,also the next thing you'll know he'll be consistently onto you to take him Fishing all the time.
Cheers,Good Luck & Good Fishing to you both..
Brian.