The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 PM

aglohm4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Time Fishing in Years

TB - Looks like a good time. The season is getting ripe for Long Island's North Shore to light up with big fish so I'm hoping to get her into a 40" striper soon. We are both from Florida, so she's no stranger to fishing, but this trip was something special. We just got a tandem kayak and plan on heading out to find some great spots before it gets too cold. Likewise, we adopted a pure white German Shepherd puppy, so beach trips are going to be a frequent necessity.

Boz - That would be the Carmens, you're correct. In fact, I had been fishing there 3-4 days a week and that trip with Anna was one of the last I caught fish. The summer heated up, the flora moved in, and the fish disappeared until things start cooling down. It's a beautiful and interesting river. You can spend an entire day without a bite, or, walk through a pool of 20 fish, turn around, tie on a fly, and cast to them rising again 30 seconds later. My most productive day there was catching wild brookies under a tree in a torrential downpour. I suppose you could say a pool was under the tree - it was about 3 feet in diameter.

A.J. - Anna is a trooper in the salt as well. In fact (don't tell anyone) the last snook she caught (sight-fishing like a pro) beats the pants off every snook I've caught in the last 10 years. I was lucky enough to split my time between Lakeland and Longboat Key. My parent's lived in Central Florida and Anna's on the island. We've known each other since we were about 4 years old, so until we went out of state to college we had some amazing times on LBK. Her parents have since moved to Sanibel, so I'm not complaining about going home for the holidays...
Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to catch that 40" bass soon Austin. Had 2 28" + fish on the outgoing at a north shore beach this morning. Tons of bait coming in now mullet, peanut bunker spearing and a host of others. To bad you weren't fishing the Nissiquogue Labor day. Might have spotted the Dr.who was flyfishing and got lost for 3 days. The dog found him cause he dropped his dry fly gel.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 AM

aglohm4 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that's a pretty crazy story... it's amazing what dehydration can do (if I'm correct in assuming that's what caused his weakness). I never imagined you could go missing in that park on labor day weekend. It's PACKED. Speaking of packed, I can't wait to get into some stripers now that the busy season is over. We went out the day before Labor Day and there were like 10,000 people on the beach. We went out the day after Labor Day (with much nicer weather) and we were 2 of 6 people we saw. Amazing. What are you having luck with? My go-to flies have been crease flies and sparse (but long) clousers with lots of lead and 3x long hooks. If you let me know what beach you've been fishing I might be able to turn you on to some great spots via PM. I've been sworn to secrecy by the locals but I'm sure you're trustworthy
Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Having fished Caleb Smith many times in the past I feel the same way you do. Can't understand why he couldn't be found. Unless they didn't check the park until the last day. Maybe his wife was tired of him? Haha. Now if he was on the brackish side of the river stuck on one of the tidal flats(happened to me) then I could have understood it.
The fly that was on for me was a simple streamer white bucktail over pearl flashabou. This is my go to fall fly on Long Island. I can pm you the spot.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser