The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 01:33 PM

spencerhicks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to spencerhicks
Default Catskills Trip

Hey guys, I spent the last weekend in the Catskills fishing the Beaverkill and Willowemoc Creek. The fishing was epic, easily the best weekend of fishing I've had. Earlier in the week, they had a whole bunch of rain, but by time I got down there, they had come down quite a ways, and made for some amazing fishing, especially in the upper stretches.

Caught a few brookies on Friday, nothing to write home about, but a hell of a lot better than nothing.I didn't get a chance to fish the evening on Friday as I needed to set up camp and all that. However, Saturday was a long but fruitful day of fishing.

This Brookie got Saturday off to a solid start, I took him at the tailout of a really nice pool, which I made a mental note to return to if some dry fly action started up.
Click the image to open in full size.

Later on I took this pig of a brown on a yellow nymph under an indicator.

Here's a better picture of her:

I caught a few more little brookies as I waited for the dry action to get going. Soon enough, the air was thick with Brown Drakes, yellow sallies, and sulphur spinners. I tied on a sulphur pattern and fished the spinner fall until well past dark.
I got these two absolutely beautiful browns as well as a few more brookies out of the pool I had fished earlier and returned to for the fall.

Sunday was another banner day for fishing.
Took these rainbows out of the same hole. After I landed the first, I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a monster trout. Turns out I was right and after a few long runs and impressive aerobatics, number two came to the net. Hell of a ride on my 3 weight.

Caught one more brown and took a few hours to eat and rest up for the spinner fall that evening.

The sulphur spinner fall was great. At first I noticed one or two rises, and then all of the sudden the water was boiling with rises. I took quite a few nice fish, though I did lose a couple.

And as soon as it began, the spinner fall was over, and so was my weekend. It was a weekend I'll not soon forget, and I cannot wait to get back to the Catskills. Being only 2 hours away, I might be spending a lot more weekends away from campus next year. In the meantime I've got some fish to catch this summer in Michigan.

Tight Lines,
Spence