The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 02:39 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default powder or liquid

Hey guys got a question. Do you prefer powder or liquid float for your dry flies? Is there a specific brand that is better than the other? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:46 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen
Default Re: powder or liquid

All of the above! I like the Loon outdoors stuff
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover
Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I use liquid before the fly is wet. After that I use powder. I have Loon outdoors liquid and Orvis powder, but it's not so much a preference as what store I was in when making the purchase.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Sometimes I use liquid before the fly is wet. After that I use powder. I have Loon outdoors liquid and Orvis powder, but it's not so much a preference as what store I was in when making the purchase.
Yeah, I think the goo is to keep the fly from getting wet the first time. After that fails I go to powder (desiccant) which dries the fly back out, so it'll float. My experience is, if you use the goo after the fly is wet, you're just locking in the moisture and that fly is done. -Mike
Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

I use liquid. i put a drop on my thumb/finger and work it into the fly before it is wet. if im lucky enough to still have my fly when it begins to sink again, i just reapply in the same manner, if it still sinks, i may tie on a new/different fly depending on whats working. Works for me i guess. I have not used the powdered yet, but i can see it advantages for actually taking the moisture out of a wet dry fly instead of possibly sealing it in and making it heavier. hmmmmm.........
Old 05-28-2012, 04:43 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I'll start with a liquid, Loon's Gink, Alboline ETC. on a Hackled fly. After that I use the powder, You can crush up those desiccant packages that come with shoes, electronics etc. Never use Paste or liquid on CDC flys. It will mess them all up. For CDC flys I carry a small vial of alcohol & when the fly gets fish slimed I shake it in the bottle & blow off the excess ,squeeze in a towel, put powder desiccant only on it. a few false casts & I'm good to go. I used to carry a small peice of chamois on my vest to dry the fly but now I carry a piece of those wonder towels advertised on TV....
Woiks fer me....

Neil
rusty 54 likes this.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

That's the stuff.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Shimazaki Dry-Shake, one of civilization's best inventions.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Floantant and desiccant are two different items with two different uses

The desiccant (powdered stuff) is the same stuff that come in the little square packs packed in electronics or vitamins or lots of other things whose propose is to absorb water.
Save them.
Throw them in your fly boxes (and they're a must for tool boxes) or grind them up to dry your flies.
There's no need to buy the much more expensive stuff repackaged for dry flies.
The liquid floatant is most often a paste silicone which repels water.
They're two different items with two different purposes.
It's a good idea to carry both.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

That's the stuff.
+1 for the Aquel. Love this!

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...