The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Buttersides

It has been a good weekend. The parents came up to visit, so not much fishing. All the usual signs of summer abound....
Click the image to open in full size.

I took them to the trout stream to show them where I fish. I could easily spot fish and wished that I had thought to grab the fly rod. However, that would have been selfish of me.

As soon as they got on the road today I headed straight to the back to the stream with plans to fish all day. After a short hike....

I arrive here...

It didn't take long to connect with a little camera shy brown...

I snuck up on this guy...

I thought it was a beaver at first, but it didn't have a flat tail.Maybe it's a nutria rat? Not sure if we have them here, but I wouldn't know what else it would be...

I switched locations trying to find some decent water. The water was extremely low. I have never seen it this low since I have been fishing there.

Before long, I'm back into the little buttersides...

I wish I had a greenie weenie with me.

I had to dodge a few canoes and several spin fisherman. Needless to say I didn't get to fish how and where I wanted. Maybe there are still a few larger ones waiting. I missed a few good strikes, but I had my 3wt, so a "good strike" can be misleading.

This was the biggest of the day...
jaybo41 likes this.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Buttersides

Nice post MRL...
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a really nice stream.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

I tried to get out on Sunday, but also had lots of tubers and canoers and kayakers on the river. The one place i did find, i think the water was too warm, as it was 90 degrees all day. The trout were sluggish and lethargic, and werent biting on anything i threw, although i did land one on a rooster tail spinner.

BTW i think that is a muskrat.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post

I took them to the trout stream to show them where I fish. I could easily spot fish and wished that I had thought to grab the fly rod. However, that would have been selfish of me.
I was in the same spot on Sunday. Hiking in Cheesman Canyon with my wife, daughter, and dog. Standing there while my daughter waded I was spotting very nice trout and thinking how great it would be to have a rod. But it's good to have the family time
Old 05-29-2012, 12:33 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking stream . The color of those little beauty's is incredible! Could be a muskrat could be a nutria easier to tell out of the water and see a frontal of it's face. Nice post . Thanks for sharing.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

id say thats a muskrat. The nutria look like cappybaras with tails, that guy doesnt have the right colored fur to me.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

That looked like a muskrat a nutria would havee been alot bigger.Nice brownies .
Old 05-29-2012, 03:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a great weekend indeed! Nice writeup and photos. Those browns really have nice color, they are beauties!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Nice post. Muskrat IMHO.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice post...Definitely a Muskrat...

Dan