The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 03:59 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First fish on fly I tied

Awesome! Now try some different, maybe harder patterns. They will look like hell the for a while, but from experience being a less than stellar tier, it never seemed to matter
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

It becomes a whole new game when you start tying your own flies. Good looking fish as well. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Nice Fish,It's always good to catch Fish on your own Flies,especially your Hybrid ones.
I happened to be Fishing on Wed Night,the first time for a couple of weeks & was talking to a guy who told me he was doing OK on Eggs above a B/H Nymph with an Indicator,I saw 1 Fish he caught on a Black Wooly Bugger,He missed 3 others on Eggs,I Missed 1 on the same Setup,so then when I returned home I tied some more Eggs & tied A Smaller version of a Black Egg Sucking Leech,which I call an Egg Bugger.
I went Fishing again Last Night & caught a Rainbow about 4lbs one of those Flies.
I released her straight away as She was in Full Spawning Colours & Full of Eggs,unfortunately without taking a Photo or weighing her.
Brian.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

I make my living as an artist, and often my creativity is kinda sucked dry from painting, so when it comes to tying flies, I don't want to put in the effort it takes to become efficient at tying a lot of different patterns. On the other hand, in non-flyfishing type fishing for smallmouth bass, I've made my own lures for a long time because I had ideas about lures that I thought were better than anything I could buy (and I think they have proven to be so). So I make the lures out of "necessity", while I can buy most of the flies I want to use.

However...I have devised some simple to tie streamers that are not much like anything I could buy, and those I tie myself, and have caught a lot of big fish on them.

So for me, it's a matter of producing something you can't buy and that works that is where the satisfaction comes in. I have no interest in reproducing a woolybugger when I can buy one, but I love to come up with things that are different and tie them to see if they work.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: First fish on fly I tied

Congratulations as that's a great feeling when you catch a fish on a fly you tied and the first time is always better.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

congrats - catching the first fish on a fly I tied is a day I wont forget, and I hope yours stays with you as well. Now comes the part where you try to design your own fly, or at least try to catch all your fish on flies you tied

Welcome to the addiction!

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 PM

montanawildoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Keep it up! I recently got into tying and it sure is rewarding to fool fish with your own streamers/flies.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

There truly is nothing like catching a fish on a fly that you tied! Such a rewarding experience!

Great Job!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 PM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road

Nice!! Fish on your own flies are the best fish of all. As you tie more, and maybe do a little aquarium net seining in the waters you fish, you'll find yourself tweaking patterns a little to match the variations of bugs in your local waters. There is nothing better than hitting fish on the latest experiment that is "just for Creek X"...

Those are beautiful fish, and that's a sweet looking little creek... reminds me of one of my favorites here in WA.

Cheers

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com
Old 07-10-2012, 12:28 AM

auhunter299 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! You are now hooked forever.