The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 11:48 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: How many?

Hmm. For trout, my mentor always carried one rod for streams (I'm talking small waters, not big tailwater stuff), so I always carry one 8.5 ft 4 wt. if I'm not too familair with the water. Some creeks I'm very familiar with I just bring my 7.5 ft. 3 wt.

For tubing on lakes I've brought as many as 5 rods, but this past year the most I've brought is three, and that only once. My usual number of set ups is two, a 9 ft. 5 wt. and a 8.5 ft. 4 wt. Maybe I'm just getting lazy, but I just don't like all the clutter of bringing multiple rods on the water. Now I might have brought 5 rods with me in the car, but only two will actually end up in the tube with me.

But I think you're asking about streams in your original question. As I am only into the sport for four years, I don't have the experience others have, but I generally go with my mentor's advice when in doubt. When i asked him how many rods I should bring when stream fishing, he basically said:

As many as you feel you're going to need. But remember more is not necessarily better. Remember your mind and your creativity are the best tools you have, not how many rods you've got with you, or who made them, or what kind of line you're fishing with. I bet if you took a minute to think about the situation, you could come up with a solution to the problem using that 4 wt. no matter what it was.

Now, I'm not a great stream fisherman by any stretch, so I don't advocate anyone taking advice from me about stream fishing. But I will say that when I do remember this advice, I usually come up with some kind of plan that has a chance of working. And whether the plan succeeds or not, I learn something about fishing every time. Which is all I can ask for as a fisherman, I think. Just have a decent chance at a fish, and learn something in the process.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark