The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Northern California guided trip advice?

Trying to get my dad, who has never fly fished, on a guided trip in Northern California in the beginning of July. California was the VERY beginning of my learning days, and I don't remember the rivers. Can someone give me some advice to what rivers and who'd they'd go through for a package? I've been looking at The Fly Shop and Floating the lower Sac or The Fall River. Would love some advice though.

Instagram - @litlchuck
Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Northern California guided trip advice?

The easy answer is fish the Lower Sac in Redding with The Fly Shop. Personally, I don't like their ethics, but they are big, have lots of qualified guides and will get you and your dad on good trout.

There are MANY other excellent guides on the L Sac. Google Hogan Brown or Ryan Johnston for two of the best. They are busy, but if they are booked they will refer you to others in their network and make sure you're cared for.

While you're there you'll also have the options of fishing the Pitt, McCloud, Hat Creek and don't forget the upper Sac an hour north toward Dunsmuir. July should be excellent on the upper...

It can be a little warmish on the L Sac in July.

-Mike
Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Another outfit is Shastatrout, and the owner Craig Nielsen, sometimes posts on this forum. I have no firsthand experience with them, but my bud says the guides are top notch. milt.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Another outfit is Shastatrout, and the owner Craig Nielsen, sometimes posts on this forum. I have no firsthand experience with them, but my bud says the guides are top notch. milt.
Good call, Milt. I've fished with these guys too, on the upper Sac years ago. -m
Old 06-12-2012, 08:13 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I'll give Ryan Johnston another vote, he works hard to keep you on the fish. I've fished with him 3 times and have never been dissapointed. I even braught my buddie who never touched a fly rod in his life and he got 12 or so nice 16"-20" rainbows while drifting the Lower Sac with Ryan.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

Milt, thanks for the tips. I was able to get two boats with Hogan on the 12th. I'll give you guys an after report.

Instagram - @litlchuck
Old 06-12-2012, 01:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hogan is also a great fly fishing bass guide.