The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 AM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road
Default Nymphing

Hey I'm tryin to expand my understanding of techniques and I'm wanting to see how everyone, if you do, fishes with nymphs, i.e., favorite nymphs, favorite rig to use, ect. Any advice is awesome as well!

I have tried throwing nymphs before, both as a dropper an with a float, but never seem to have any luck, nor do I have any confidence in it. I always end up wanting to just dump all my nymphs in the water and walking away!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nymphing

I've never had a ton of luck DRIFTING nymphs, when I fish them I usually high stick them, just because I like having a feel of the line.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I fish nymphs though prefer dries. As for favorite nymphs, whatever is working! It depends on where and when I'm fishing as to what is working. Sharing where you are or where you fish might help folks give some specific fly advice

I fish a two nymph rig where a heavy nymph is suspended under an indicator and a lighter/smaller nymph trailing behind it. I try to get the heavy nymph close to or even bouncing off the bottom. To do this I adjust the length of tippet between the indicator and use either the weight of the fly or weight on the tippet. On a river I usually start with a tippet length about twice the depth of the river to get the fly down and adjust from there till I tick bottom periodically without losing a fly every other cast. For dry, dropper I tend to use just one nymph, but again my selection depends on what they are hitting. I often don't use as much weight as, unless I'm using a big foam hopper, the heavy nymph will sink my dry fly.

Unless you know exactly what they want, nymphing is often a trial and error game. Use different flies, switch up your trailing fly till you find something they take. If you fish with someone else, it's a good idea to use different flies until one of you starts catching fish.

If you can, go out with a guide and say you want to learn to nymph. A buddy and I got a 1/2 day trip through group-on and I learned a ton! Guides can get you into nice fish, but I find real benefit when I can learn from them.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the Video Library, there are several videos on nymph fishing. Also look on YouTube and do a search for nymph fishing, lots of information there. Rick Haffele has a great book on nymph fishing called "Nymph Fishing Rivers and Streams".
Amazon.com: Nymph-Fishing Rivers & Stream: A Biologist's View of Taking Trout Below the Surface (9780811701693): Rick Hafele: Books Amazon.com: Nymph-Fishing Rivers & Stream: A Biologist's View of Taking Trout Below the Surface (9780811701693): Rick Hafele: Books

Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilliams View Post
Hey I'm tryin to expand my understanding of techniques and I'm wanting to see how everyone, if you do, fishes with nymphs, i.e., favorite nymphs, favorite rig to use, ect. Any advice is awesome as well!

I have tried throwing nymphs before, both as a dropper an with a float, but never seem to have any luck, nor do I have any confidence in it. I always end up wanting to just dump all my nymphs in the water and walking away!
Best advice? Go fish with someone who knows how to effectively fish nymph rigs and observe. If that means hiring a guide, make that happen.

Other advice? Learn how to control your drifts by managing your line. Learn how to mend your line and how to limit the amount of drag on the line by the current.

Favorite nymphs? It varies. I am mostly a match the hatch kind of guy.

Favorite rig? If I am going to strictly nymph, I have a dedicated leader system. It starts with three feet of heavy butt section material (30 pound test). If I use an indicator, it is placed on the butt section. Connected to that, I will have five to six feet of 2x or 3x leader material. That makes the leader body. I connect the butt section and the leader body with a small swivel. I will connect about 1.5 to 2 feet of smaller diameter tippet to the leader body. I use a tippet ring between the leader body and the tippet. I place my weight above the tippet ring.

Easy rig? Get a 7.5 to 9 foot leader. Tie a piece of tippet to it. Put an indicator about one to one and a half the depth of the water from the first fly. Add some weight about six inches to a foot above your fly if you need to. Find a fishy piece, and enjoy.

The reality of it all is that nymphing is probably the most effective way to fly fish once you get the technique down. During the day, most fish will hunker down deep picking off food that drifts down their way.

If you continue to have issues nymphing, go back to my best advice.

Dennis
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Get the nymph down. Add enough weight to bounce of the bottom.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road

What are you all using as an indicator?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Favorite rig? If I am going to strictly nymph, I have a dedicated leader system. It starts with three feet of heavy butt section material (30 pound test). If I use an indicator, it is placed on the butt section. Connected to that, I will have five to six feet of 2x or 3x leader material. That makes the leader body. I connect the butt section and the leader body with a small swivel. I will connect about 1.5 to 2 feet of smaller diameter tippet to the leader body. I use a tippet ring between the leader body and the tippet. I place my weight above the tippet ring.

I dig this set up, I am going to give it a shot.
Thanks for sharing!

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilliams View Post
What are you all using as an indicator?
I use Thingamabobbers.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Best advice? Go fish with someone who knows how to effectively fish nymph rigs and observe. If that means hiring a guide, make that happen.
If you want to take a couple of years off your learning curve, follow this advice.