The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM

mr mike is on a distinguished road
Default Wind River Range--looking for recommendation for base camp

I'm planning a trip for 4 guys to the Wind River Range in mid-September. Due to a combination of middle age, all living at less than 1,000 feet of altitude, being used to a few luxuries because we mostly canoe camp (cough, cough, pansies)...we have elected to have a guide drop pack us in and camp in one location for 4 nights. We are coming in from the Pinedale side.

I'm looking for recommendations on where to drop approximately 10-15 miles from a trailhead. Priorities would be access to fishy lakes (despite the pansy thing, we are all fit and could cover 10-15 miles round trip in a day to check out nearby lakes), a comfortable place to camp and good scenery. None of us have been to the Winds before, so I want to see as much as we can subject to the pansy limitation.

I assume we won't have much competition for camp sites that time of the year, but I would really like to stay somewhere scenic and comfortable because we will be there for 4 nights.

Ideas?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM

robbyz5001 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wind River Range--looking for recommendation for base camp

Sorry about lacking specifics, but you can find many nice areas hiking out of Elkhart. I really fish I could remember some names of lakes up there. I worked for the WY Game and Fish and sampled around the mountains.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wind River Range--looking for recommendation for base camp

Mike: I sent you a PM. Here is the trip report from the horse trip we did in August. Wind River Mtns Fishing Trip

Larry

Larry