The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM

husker is on a distinguished road
Default where to fish in September?

I have a week to fish either Sept 10 or 17th.
choices are either Alaska, perhaps a steelhead trip in BC, or somewhere else.
I have been to alaska several times and have never been disappointed-but never this late. otoh, I have always wanted to catch a steelhead, just not sure I want to fork out major $ to only catch a few fish during an entire week.
want to ask where people would suggest to go for an intermediate fly fisherman who only gets one precious week a year to fish, but has the opportunity to go anywhere in North America (not Mexico).
thanks
p.s. I cannot spey cast worth a damn.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: where to fish in September?

Hi...you say you've been to Ak before, but not this late. Does that mean you haven't fished silvers? I'm a steelie guy and I'd pass on them in Ak to go to a river packed with coho.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 AM

husker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Hi...you say you've been to Ak before, but not this late. Does that mean you haven't fished silvers? I'm a steelie guy and I'd pass on them in Ak to go to a river packed with coho.
I've fished silvers a ton and love it. only worry is that Sept might be a bit late. love AK because you can go after big bows and silvers, both in good numbers and good size. I've never fished steelhead though.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:34 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Well, those coho runs vary by fishery and some are in full swing in Sept, but if you've done it, you've done it.

Steelies are something special too. I have only fished them in Ak out of Yakutat on the Situk and it was a zoo, so it would not be my recommendation.

My steelie experience in BC is around Terrace and Kitimat and if you want a shot at a fish over 20 lbs, there you go...and I believe mid Sept is the start of steelies and the end of coho around there. Maybe someone else can help us out...

We fished with these guys Westcoast Fishing Adventures and they worked real hard for us. There are a gazillion guides around the Skeena and Kitimat area. You can just google "terrace bc fly guide" and find a bunch.

-Mike

-Mike