The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road
Default Controlling the Big-uns

So yesterday I hooked into the biggest fish of my life. It was a 26-30in brown that gave me quite the aerial show before snapping me off. I was wondering if you guys have any advice on controlling this size fish. Right when he noticed that I had hooked him he swam straight upstream (I was in some pretty fast water so I couldn't chase as fast as I would have liked). I noticed exactly where he was headed, some thick logs/limbs underneath a rock and did everything I could to try to keep him out, but to no avail. He went straight into them and immediately my line snapped. Right when I realized his size and where he was going I tightened the drag and tried to guide him back downstream/away from the logs but could not get him to turn off his path. Any tips? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Controlling the Big-uns

I am interested in the response this receives as well. Just last week, this very same thing happened to me with a huge brown. He swam straight Up stream, went behind a rock and snap…..
We landed multiple fish in the 22-26” range this same day. This was a whole different class of fish. I was fishing with 5x, and have a decent idea as to how much pressure/drag I can get way with… I did what I knew to do, but in the end, I lost the fight.
Other than using heavier tippet, I am very curious to what some thoughts are.
Thank you in advance.

Click the image to open in full size.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Stronger Tippet. When to are headed somewhere and you dont what them to head in a direction, I've found that when you pull them away from something that's exactly where they go. Sometimes if you pull them right an obstruction they will head the other direction away from it. Usually this only works for me though if a fish is to big to really turn. If they are small enough to move them I wouldn't try this.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Stronger Tippet. When to are headed somewhere and you dont what them to head in a direction, I've found that when you pull them away from something that's exactly where they go. Sometimes if you pull them right an obstruction they will head the other direction away from it. Usually this only works for me though if a fish is to big to really turn. If they are small enough to move them I wouldn't try this.

Hope that makes sense.
That does make since, but considering I ended up downstream of the fish there was no way to even try that. I was downstream on the bank and the brush pile was upstream on the opposite bank. Had no idea what to do
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Good tips there. Side control is about all you can do in your case/scenario.

If I'm chasing something really big or spot a big fish, I'll up my tippet size and/or rod weight. In a river/stream, you're at the mercy of the fish. It goes where it wants to when they're that size.

In a lake, you have the advantage and can tow them away from hazards like fallen trees, etc.

This is a prime example of why there aren't more really big fish landed and is the reason why we keeping chasing after them!

Nick
Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Controlling the Big-uns

It sounds like you did all that you could and sometimes the fish just wins because you are in a situation where the conditions and the fish have the advantage.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Sometimes you can't do anything about it as others have stated. But in the past I see a lot of guys high sticking fish trying to turn them. I put my rod low to the water, when the fish runs right I put the rod to the left and opposite directions when the fish changes direction. They have a hard time swimming straight "if" you can turn their heads. I have been beaten up even doing this when the fish is bigger than the rod will handle, cover is close, rocks.
gatortransplant likes this.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:13 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Stronger tippet; side pressure to turn them broadside to the current; and if you can bring yourself to do it, give them slack. Often this will get them to reverse direction. They won't often be able to throw the fly. Try it on some smaller fish and you will see how it works!
When you can't use muscle, you must use finesse!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:16 PM

oh and just to add to the story/suggestions, I was on a 4wt. , using 5x tippet. I have actually tried the slack idea when I was using a 2wt and hooked into something a lot bigger than I was expecting on a mountain stream. For some reason I've never really tried it fishing the bigger rivers. Maybe that will be my next course of action if I'm in a bind, I think I'm just nervous when I see them going for a brush pile and feel the need to try to turn them manually
Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM

mfo is on a distinguished road

try frog hair