The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 AM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road
Default Another question...

So thinking about the whole nymphing rig... A lot of the rigs I am hearing/reading about have like three or four different pieces. What knot are you guys using between each piece?

I usually use a triple surgeons, I think, between my leader and tippet. Will that work for nymphing?

I also read somewhere that some knots are less productive in power transfer and turning flies over? Is that true, and if so what knots should I be using? Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:56 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another question...

Well, you're right....though I try to have only a knot at the eye of each fly and one off the bend of my top fly. Knots seem to be where things break, so more than you have to have seems risky to me.

I use triple surgeons with good success. I'm lazy and can't see and my fingers don't work so good...I think other knots are probably stronger. There's a lotta guys on here who really know about this knot strength stuff.

-Mike
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have also used the sergeons knot for all kinds of fishing, however, I find if you have the time and patience the back-to-back uni-knot to be a better knot. I have had fewer knot failures using it. Also key is to make sure you lube the knot before you tighten it all the way.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:53 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

There are lots of knot options out there and many variations of them. I've had my best luck with the ones I have the most confidence in. No doubt it's a good thing to know your options. I stick with the Blood Knot for tippet to tippet/leader connections and the Clinch Knot on hooks--including multiple nymph or dry dropper rigs. If tied right, they have rarely if ever failed me. I like the slim profile of both knots and use them for targeting Steelhead, Trout and Smallmouth.

The perfection loop is a must as well. I use that on the end of my backing of my reel. Make the loop large enough so you can fit the reel through it so you can easily swap out fly lines that have welded loops. I also use the Perfection Loop on the butt end when building my own leaders.

The Nail Knot is good to know as well but for me takes more practice than any of the others. Probably because I don't use it as often.