The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 05:12 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymphs in fast water

Here's a very basic primer.

As Dean said I use a 10 ft rod. It is a 5 wt G Loomis GLX Classic. It is not a true euro nymphing rod. It is too stiff but I use it for both dry and nymphing.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's one way to rig the flies. In a pure Euronymphing rig, they do not add split shot; they vary the weight of the flies. They also cannot use traditional "bobbers" as strike indicators. All indicators must be a part of the line or the leader. The fishing regulations in Europe is what developed this method of fishing.

However we can add weights and "bobber" so you can hybridize the rig above by adding split shot.

An entire book can be written on the special flies that are used. For a beginner, you can use bead head flies but the special flies are slim and weighted to sink very fast.

Rather than a high rod position, I use a lower parallel rod position. It is less tiring than holding the rod up and you have more control of the rift with the rod in a lower position. Also it is easier to set the hook with just a flip of the wrist. Take a look at the photo below. He is leading the flies just a bit and keeping the line off of the water.

There is a very slight bow in the line. Below is a bicolor strike indicator that is use to detect very subtle tales. You both "fee" and "see" the takes.

Indicator material that is placed into the leader. Usually it is used as the butt section OR a thinner version is placed just after the butt as part of the transition section.

This an "improved" version with high viz microdots to aid in detection.

Below is a graphic sequence of what you are going to try to do. You locate the likely position of fish. You position yourself so that you cast above the fish so that your flies will be at the level of the fish when the flies reaches the fish's lie. You know when the strike will likely occur.

This is not a random exercise but the result of many hours of experience. The "sixth sense" that you may think great nymphers have detecting strikes is a combination of experience and knowledge. They know their equipment, how to weight the flies, where to cast and when the strike will likely occur. You may not even see anything but they just know a fish has taken the fly.

Here is a frame taken from a video showing the bicolor indicator just above the water.

Here are more photos as examples. I want you to notice the different types of water from very fast in the first photo to slower in others and shallow to deep.

bassguitarplayer likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 06-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan on strictly nymphing, do not use a tapered leader setup.

This leader rig that I will mention can be used for dead drift, tight line, or Euro nymph techniques.

First section is the butt section. Use heavy monofilament (.020" to .024") in about a three foot length. Attach a small swivel to the tag end using a two turn Improved Clinch Knot. For Euro nymphing, you can use colored mono like Amnesia. For the dead drift method you can put your indo-bob-a-float-a-ma-jig-icator here.

The next section is the body section. Use about four, five, or six feet of 2x or 3x leader material (fluorocarbon preferably since it has a faster sink rate than mono). Use an Improved Clinch Knot to attach it to the swivel. On the tag end, use an Improved Clinch Knot to a tippet ring.

Now you can build your tippet sections. Tie about a foot and a half of the desired diameter tippet using an Improved Clinch Knot.

From here you can add more tippet sections if you want a multiple Euro Nymph rig or you can attach your fly. If you are using a tight line or dead drift rig, you can put your preferred weight on the tippet.

The whole idea of using a leader body is to have a thin consistent diameter. There will be less hydrodynamic drag than that of a tapered leader.

The whole idea of using a small swivel between the butt section and the body section is to lessen the chance of leader twists which happen more frequently with multiple flies.

Many of the local guides who I fish with use this type of leader system.

Dennis
fysh, jaybo41, dean_mt and 1 others like this.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it since a lot of this is not something in most magazines, etc. The waters I usually fish are more like those shallow streams in the pictures. This gives me something to work on. Thanks again, appreciate it.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 PM

mnflyangler1 is on a distinguished road

Silver creek just got back from fishing the stretch of that famous river and can't get enough of it. I nymph fish with a strike indicator but biggest thing i do is do what I call a j hook to the indicator or upstream nymph. What people don't realize is that if your indicator isn't downstream and tight to your nymphs you aren't going to detect anything at all once a trout takes your fly. You want your rig of nymphs to be tight as possible. That is why a tightlinemontana presentation where you lead your nymphs can be so effective.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Very interesting thread !

Just came from Bosnia, and realize that nymph fishing in a lot of our rivers (Europe) is THE key for a succefull fishing week.

I only fish with dry flies, and caught regular size fishs. Dudes fishing with nymphs caught larger fishs.

OK, I'm not a nymph fishing master, but I try. I have a stricke indicator, this one

Cabela's: Rainy's Dave Whitlocks Telstrike Indicators but I dont know the way to fix it on the line..... maybe there are betters indicators ??
Old 07-14-2012, 02:21 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I've never seen that, how long is that tag of thread and what purpose does it serve?

With the loop on the bottom I imagine you do the old loop hitch to attach it: double you leader and push the leader loop through the eye on the indicator, then pass the loop over the top of the indicator and slide it tight. This way you can easily loosen the loop and adjust the depth.

Well, I looked at Rainy's website and by the illustration it appears that the Telstrike is used like a hinged indicator so the fly rides more directly below it, in theory. Looks like the leader is tied to the indicator eye, and a separate tippet also tied to the eye.
Rainys Flies & Supplies - Sliders
Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Very interesting thread !

Just came from Bosnia, and realize that nymph fishing in a lot of our rivers (Europe) is THE key for a succefull fishing week.

I only fish with dry flies, and caught regular size fishs. Dudes fishing with nymphs caught larger fishs.

OK, I'm not a nymph fishing master, but I try. I have a stricke indicator, this one

Cabela's: Rainy's Dave Whitlocks Telstrike Indicators but I dont know the way to fix it on the line..... maybe there are betters indicators ??
Above poster described it, like attaching a thingamabobber.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:31 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I guess the bible of upstream nymphing is Joe Humphrey's Trout Tactics.

Randy