The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Smile spring trip 2012

We recently spent a week chasing brook trout and land locked salmon in NW Maine.

The campsite

Click the image to open in full size.

The water in front of the campsite

Caught lots of these little salmon. They love to dance.

Some of the brookies were nicer

Most all the streams and rivers were blown out from the "inches" of rain we got while there but not this one, a tailwater. Caught lots of brookies here but none of the huge fish that the river is known for.

This was taken at Upper Dam. The home of Carrie Stevens.
The water at the casting platforms looked a little fast.

.. so we did plenty of pond fishing

And there was plenty of ponds to choose from

and the salmon co-operated.

Hardyreels, jpbfly, branjg and 5 others like this.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spring trip 2012

Very nice Rip! Your fishin' partner gets BIG bonus points for the dancin' bear! milt.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice Paul,

I haven't seen such places since 1994 so this was a very slow scroll through the pictures for me. if you have more they would be viewed here in AK. with pleasure.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

Very nice! Thanks for sharing, really like the first picture with all the new growth on the trees.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by branjg View Post
Very nice! Thanks for sharing, really like the first picture with all the new growth on the trees.
Mmmm, spruce tea
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

One of my bucket list places is Maine for brookies. Thanks for teasing, I mean sharing!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
if you have more they would be viewed here in AK. with pleasure.
This is how you knew you were at the right campsite

Not the only moose we saw, but the only one that held still
We also had a bear in the campsite a couple of nights

if you see me smoking a cigar, you know that there's black flies

jpbfly, jaybo41 and freebird630 like this.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Very nice Rip! Those little salmon are awesome looking. Great scenery and campsite. I use the black fly exuse a lot!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-27-2012, 10:48 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Rip, looks like a fantastic trip in a beautiful locale! Love the overhead shot of the fishing partner!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: spring trip 2012

That is beautiful country as we visited it two years ago and I looked at all the great water saddly because I didn't have any fly gear with me. Looks like you had a wonderful time and caught some really nice fish.