The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

If its hot in your state go early early in the morning. Like right when the sun comes up

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I would try to start with smaller water, work pools, riffles and pocket water. Once you do well on smaller water, then move into bigger streams.It can be frustrating, look at joining a club if you can. Otherwise watch you tube videos, look at books and keep coming to forums like this. FF in the beginning can be about persistence, keep on tryIng it will come together.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cursed & Forever Skunked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputinj View Post
I would try to start with smaller water, work pools, riffles and pocket water. Once you do well on smaller water, then move into bigger streams.
Solid advice there! The more you understand about waterways (creeks & rivers) the better. Also rather than being focused completely on catching the fish do some reading about the species you are looking to catch. When you combine knowledge of how streams and their currents work with the habitat needs and feeding routines of the fish you will be on the way to being a consistent fish catcher.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Oldie but goodie

Gary Borger fly fishing for trout series on Youtube. Good stuff in my opinion, and still valid today

he will talk you through how to catch fish on the rivers/streams

Most importantly, keep trying and don't give up.

d
mcnerney likes this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

I can feel your pain, I've been getting skunked quit a lot this summer. But a lot of that has to do with my learning curve; I keep trying new things. A lot of them don't work, then all of a sudden bam. Fish on.

It makes it just that much sweeter, it was pretty awesome the first time I caught a fish out of the Poudre. I had tried to fish it of and on with no success since I was little; so needless to say, I'm gunna save that chironomid.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Just tell yourself failure is not an option. I'm self taught and never gave up, now I'm pretty confident. By know means an expert but good enough to enjoy myself. Gain all the "book knowledge" you can and don't be afraid to ask other fishermen for help. You could hire a guide to help you or even look for classes that are offered from fly shops. Fly fishing is made to look easy because some people are really good, you just have to do it to get better.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 PM

megaspokaneman is on a distinguished road

Yup... still reading... still asking... still trying... still skunked !!!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Have you googled trout rise forms? This info will help a lot on fly selection. Most fish I catch are subsurface where I fish. Dry flies work at times but not always for me.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

Fly fishing is like any other sport. Proper technique and understanding of the where, how and why fish hold/feed in particular areas of the river or lake is key. With that said, the greatest gift you can give yourself is 1 or 2 days of a professional guide who can both show you the areas and more importantly show you what you are doing right and wrong. A great guide can knock a year off your learning curve or more. You can go from ignorance to bliss in a very short time. Just as importantly a great guide will let you know the right days to go and have the best shot at fish or if the weather is off what to consider using for flies.

In my opinion the gift of a great guide to get you moving in the right direction is even more important than purchasing your own gear. Until you know what you are doing and what it is you are looking for in the way of owning your own higher end rod and reel you are better off using the guides gear (Great guides will have top quality gear for you to use at no extra charge).

It is important to NOT develop bad habits which you will have to break later. Flyfishing is very much like golf (Only WAAAAY Better) in that a proper swing or cast will "Feel" right. Learning proper techniques to let the rod or club do the majority of the work is something which normally must be taught to the new angler and practiced over and over in order for the feel to become organic and natural. There is a reason most of us realize we will spend the rest of our lives learning to be better fly fishermen. This is not a sport where you just step up to the plate and become great just because you have a rod and reel and some natural talent. Sure you will be able to catch fish at some point but why not learn early on proper technique from a professional and then have a proper base of knowledge from which to practice with.

Many folks need a hands on instruction and do not learn well from books or videos. Heck, 100% of the newbies I have taken with me have excelled because I use a great guide to teach them after I have given the newbie the basics at the park or my local lake. Find a fishing club or go to a your local retail fly shop and see if they give lessons before getting a guide. My son was whacking fish last week as a newbie because of my great guide John from Blackfoot River Outfitters in Missoula, Montana. I cannot over rate the value of a great guide. Do your own due diligence in order to find a highly rated guide. A second rate guide is just not worth the phone call you make to him or her.

Best of luck.

Jamie

Clearly you have the fly fishing bug so why not treat yourself to a lesson or two.