The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 PM

megaspokaneman is on a distinguished road
Default Cursed & Forever Skunked.

Hey all !

I am new to fly fishing and am really enjoying it... except I can't catch a freaking fish !!! I have been out 10 or so times and nothing at all ! I had one fish on the line today... felt so good.

I keep on reading, implementing, practicing, then executing... and nothing !

Is this normal ?

- Mega
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cursed & Forever Skunked.

What are you fishing for? Some fish are just harder to catch than others.

I finally caught my first pike on the fly rod. Just keep going. You will eventually achieve that first fish.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

One good way to fast track the learning curve is to join a fly fishing club, maybe a TU or FFF chapter is in your area, join up and get someone to mentor you until you get the basics down. Another method is to download ITunes and the Orivs Fly Fishing Podcasts, lots of great information in those podcasts. You can also ask questions here and we will try our best to get you on the right path. Tell us more about what you are fishing for and how you are fishing (streamers, nymphs, drys).

Larry

Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM

megaspokaneman is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

What have I been fishing for... Trout.

I have tried both lake and river. However, the lake I went to seemed to have been having a massive dragon fly hatch going on, and of course I did not have anything resembling this critter ! I am happy to have found this place as I saw some big ole fish, some even breaching the water ! There were only two others there that day and they seemed to be just slayin fish left and right !

Now the river... I believe half of my problem is the river i have been fishing isn't exactly know for its fishing: The Spokane. It is also still pretty swollen. The local fly shop, The Swede, has given me some advice on location, flies and technique. But still found it funny that I was heading out. I have only seen other fly fishermen out there once (yesterday), and they were catching fish ! However, I just can't seem to make it work.

As for methods: the lake I was utilizing streamers and dry flies. The river i have tried nympths, dries, and nymphs drys combinations.

I just can't seem to make it all work. Not to mention i seem to spend half my time untangling my line from its self, trees, and my self... Luckily I love being out on the river otherwise i may have dropped this and gone back to spin casting !

Thank you for the information about the Orvis pod casts, I watched the beginners series posted on their web site a few times. I was unaware there were others available.

Well I am heading out to Rock Creek near Sprague, wa tomorrow and the iclici creek near leavenworth, wa this weekend... hopefully I can put something together.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated !

-Mega
Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be discouraged Megatry to find an experienced flyfisherman in your area ....go fishing with him as often as you can....he will make you catch fish!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

You need a mentor. I second going to a TU of FFF meeting. Volunteer and get to know the members. Do some sweat equity and they will show you the ropes.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM

redyote is on a distinguished road

Keep at it. Like others have said, see if someone can get on the water with you. When I got started I thought I had wasted a lot of money, but one day it just "clicked."
Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I probably know the lakes / rivers you are fishing as I live south of you. One of the great challenges / fun things about fly fishing is figuring out each place. Were you at Amber during the damsel hatch? I have been hitting that pretty hard this year and go hours without a fish, then the damsel hatch starts and it gets very good for a while. The fly that has been working for me is a damsel adult. Just cast it near the weeds and let it sit, twitching it every now and then. The water is also still pretty high in all of our streams making it tough fishing. They are just coming into shape now and will be better in a couple of weeks. Head up to the Joe or NF of the CDA with some bushy dry flies and you will do well in the evenings on cutthroats.

You have picked a tough time of year to get started in our area, just hang in there a few more weeks and the fishing will be fantastic in the N. ID. streams!

I also second the idea of getting involved with your local TU club. There will be lots of people willing to show you the ropes.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaspokaneman View Post
I just can't seem to make it all work. Not to mention i seem to spend half my time untangling my line from its self, trees, and my self... Luckily I love being out on the river otherwise i may have dropped this and gone back to spin casting !
Don't worry. Untangling line from anything and everything is a problem you will never escape. Just part of fly fishing. My first few months were very frustrating (I had no mentor), but you have to resist the urge to use another method. Instead force yourself to keep trying and I promise, one day it will all just click. You can shorten the learning curve by doing what others have said and go with an experienced fly fisherman, or watch a lot of videos about fly fishing for trout and casting. Then go out and try to emulate them, nothing can replace time on the water.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 07-03-2012, 02:39 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

A post that I could have written in the past. What I now do is everything possible to make friends with the person I see catching fish. I've gone so far as to walk up and ask if I can just watch them because they have such a great cast and I just want to see if I can learn something. I think it's called Suck Up 101. By then I have boosted their ego so much that they stop and say go ahead and cast and lets see if we can work on it. Oh by the way lets tie this fly on also.

Does not work everytime but I've met new friends, traded flies, and sometimes even go fishing together.

So if some old man comes up to you in the future saying how great a cast you have, then you may have just met me. So watch out because I want in your fly box.