The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Help with first hike and fish adventure? lake fishing

Im wondering if you guys can help me out or point me into a direction with good info.

Within the next week Im going to go on a short little 4.5 mile hike into a lake that is just a short drive from the house. The lake is secluded enough that it is heli stocked with trout every so often, and it is roughly 3 acres and Ive been told can reach depths of 20-30 feet in the center, but I cant confirm this. Ive never flyfished a lake let alone hiked into one so Ive got some questions.

#1 Is it worth it to pack waders or wet wade? If this were august it would be simple, wet wade. But the lake is high enough up that I am worried it will have snow that is still melting off into it, maybe it wont but I dont want to risk not taking waders and then wading into glacial temp runoff. I dont have a huge pack, infact its quite small so the waders and boots would take up pretty much all of the pack leaving me barely enough room for water. Would like to be able to take camera and tripod as well.

#2 FLIES: I have no idea what to fish, Ive been to the local fly shop but about all the could recommend was a chrominoid (spelling??)I dont know how to fish them so i have none, I may have one size 14-16 Ice Cream Cone but Im not sure without. What kind of flys do you use on lakes? Im assuming these fish are going to be on the smaller size so nothing too large.

#3 How do you not let the fact that you are going into wolf infested country bug you? Ill be taking a sidearm but Wolves creep me out like none other, After hearing some of the stories about how the act around people and the stories coming out of this area that have been published in Field and Stream and such magazines, its scary.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with first hike and fish adventure? lake fishing

The water will likely be cold, but I would rather not have to pack in waders. You could use those neoprene wading socks or I have seen really light weight nylon style hip waders or just try to find some rocks you can fish from. Most fly shops will carry the neoprene wading socks.
Most high altitude lakes have fish that are pretty eager to eat a fly so the patterns can be something general like ants, beetles, parachute adams, pheasant tail nymph, hare's ears nymph, small streamer patterns and like you said small chironomids.
Anyway, it sounds like a fun trip. I wouldn't be worried about wolves they are pretty solitary. I'd rather carry a can of bear spray than a sidearm, just my personal preference.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Depends on the lake, as far as waders go. Is it wooded all the way around so that there's no way to backcast? If so, waders may be worthwhile. Conversely, is the bank so steep that you're not going to be able to wade out more than a few feet anyway? If so, then waders are a waste of time.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

I'll be trying some Chironomids next week for the first time. I had the same questions as you as to how to fish Chironomids. I googled "how to fly fish Chironomids" and was very suprised at all the information available. Maybe someone who fishes them alot will chime in and give us some secrets?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

From my personal experience...but I don't know why... black flies are a must on mountain lakes... if you can,take two rods(at least two reels) one with a floating line one with an intermediate or sinking one.If a little brook runs into the lake fish there.as for wolves....really think you needn't worry about them
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I just finished a 4.5 mile hike into a lake here in Idaho. Still had some ice, but for the most part was open.

Water: I would first recommend getting a water purifier. No sense in carrying all the water you will need to drink. The purifiers are inexpensive.

Waders: If this were only a day hike (not staying the night), I would pack my waders. If you use some ingenuity, I am sure you can come up with a way of attaching the waders /boots to your pack.

Wolves: I have spent many day’s hiking / hunting / fishing in wolf country. Over the years, I have only actually viewed one wolf in the wild, although I have heard many… I would not be concerned with wolves at all.

Flies: My experience, fish in high mountain lakes at this time of year are hungry. Last week, my experience was, if you could see rises, small black flies (fly style did not matter) worked the best. During midday, the rising slowed, we used many different small bead head nymphs, chrominoids, etc. We caught fish on almost every fly we tried.

Best of luck to you.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

When I fish Chironomids from my pontoon boat, I first drop a line over board to measure the depth, then set the indicator so the Chironomid on the point is about a foot off the bottom. I usually like to fish in the 6-12 ft section of the water, but others like Joni will fish as deep as 30 ft but that takes a special rig to fish like that but she is pretty good at it and lands some huge rainbows. When wading you will just have to do a little guessing. Basically, cast out with an indy rig, let it settle to the bottom, then do a very slow hand twist retrieve. Good luck and be sure to post a trip report when you get back.
osok likes this.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Ok, going off of Youtube Videos the lake looks like it is fairly bushy on the sides but still provides a bit of room to cast and it also looks like in areas it has plenty of room to wade (maybe it was the video but the one area looked like I could get a good 20+ feet out.) My backpack is for skiing/snowboarding so it has two external board straps, Ill see if I cant get the waders to fit in there and the boots are simple enough to hang from the pack. Wish I still had my little home-ade float tube, for costing me just $10 it worked pretty good and was easily packable.

Im low on black flies But I should have a few little black Hares ears and Phesant tails. This ive never found an exact answer too. When fishing little nymphs in lakes do you cast out and slowly retrieve them along the bottom or just cast out and let them sink?

Mcnerney, sorry for the noobie ignorance but what is an Indy Rig?

I must be prone to wolves, Ive only lived in Idaho for 5 (?) years and so far (not counting road trips) Ive seen 1 pack of 6 wolves 300 yards out, a solo wolf while on a dirt bike ride (scared me because I didnt notice it at first.), and then what looked too be 2 younger wolves just sitting there watching something, they were too far out for me to tell.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 AM

Looks like my trip is being postponed for a couple weeks, parents want to take one last camping trip before I move out.

while im here with everyones attention, can anyone recomend a good magazine for trout fishing? One that I can learn new tips/tricks from and also new flies?

Thay way I can hopefully bug everyone on here less and just post more pictures and trips
Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

Indy rig is an indicator, little piece of yarn or thingabobber, it is a good way to to fish deep and see the takes.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide