The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about
Default Lake Sumner NM Tailwaters

Just wondering, but due to my location there are just not a lot of fishing places close to me. The only place is really Lake Sumner and its tailwater. My question is has anyone fished the Sumner tailwater? If so what kind of fish are there and anyone have any recommendations on flies or spots?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lake Sumner NM Tailwaters

This probably isn't helpful, as I have never fished that area, but you are seven hours ways from the finest trout water in the western united states, in my opinion. The san juan river below navajo lake has giant rainbows and browns. I know its pretty far away but I travel 9 hours to get there at least threee times a year.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 PM

yeah I know the san juan, but being military i have to take leave if i go further that 5 hours since I'm out of the recall area... thats why I'm looking for something close before I start losing my mind.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 AM

pecos10 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you've already researched this but you have some decent fishing water within 4 hrs in the Santa Fe/Las Vegas areas, largely smaller rivers and streams with small fish but the area is just beautiful.....certainly beats the heck out of Sumner on all levels!

Amazon.com: Fly Fishing in Northern New Mexico (Coyote Books) (9780826327611): Craig Martin: Books Amazon.com: Fly Fishing in Northern New Mexico (Coyote Books) (9780826327611): Craig Martin: Books

Also, Ruidoso is ca. 3 hrs from you. I haven't been to the Ruidoso area since early last summer but it was a little hit and miss due to the drought but I'd say there is usually some fishable water despite the dry conditions.

New Mexico Fishing in the Ruidoso Area

Good luck and hopefully some of the NM guys will chime in with some better info.

***Edit*** just realized that you may be limited by 5 hr. round trip. if that's the case you might be out of luck.....

Last edited by pecos10; 07-05-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 PM

no its a 5 hour circle, I've been up to the Pecos river and done fairly well up there. But I never thought about riodoso. thanks now I have a little more direction to go on.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:24 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Flat and windy, Billy the Kid era. Loved it. Majestic historic area. Never fished it, but it was a great place to experience.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 PM

flong is on a distinguished road

I'm new to this board and saw your post. My son will be stationed at Cannon this September. He is at Sheppard right now, finishing his school. He loves the AF and is looking forward to a permanent base assignment. He has been asking me to check on fishing opportunities around the area, and I'm sure he'd like to have someone to go with. If you are interested I could hook you up.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM

schrederman is on a distinguished road

I lived in Clovis for 5 years. I went to Cimmaron Canyon and Red River a couple of times... and did OK. They're within 5 hours if I remember. The San Juan was awesome... if you can...
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM

robby1824 is on a distinguished road

Kind of in no fly fishing zone in Clovis!!....cut across and hit the Cimarron, Red River, and maybe Rio Costilla....better than the San Juan...Size is fine, but having to see a thousand people while I fish is down right wrong in my opinion!