The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 03:20 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Tahoe bound first time coldwater advice

Alrighty folks so as my first real season fly fishing ive been doin alright here in the warmwaters of Illinois but in heading to tahoe in two days. I will be less than 20 minutes from the truckee and yards from tahoe. My 5 weight is ready to go for a week straight on the water night and day im gonna be hiking and fishing. My problem is I no nothing about trout where do I start with my presentation? Next I fish creeks and I just walk till I find pools and look for fish, is the water clear enough there? Thanks any help is good help don't hold back!!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tahoe bound first time coldwater advice

Before you fish, visit Mountain Hardware and Sports in Truckee. You can get the latest intel for the region. Buy the recommended flies and a Streamtime map for the region.

Popular spots are:
Glenshire
Little Truckee
Hirshdale

If you want a better chance of getting a fish, hire a guide for a day. Here are a few:
Jim Landis
Matt "Gilligan" Koles
Matt Heron - the Expedia fish dude
Arlo Townsend
Dan LeCount

Be prepared to throw a variety of flies. The fishing can be very technical. There is a reason it is called the "Tricky."

Dennis
Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

I can also get my hands on a 3 weight if you guys think that may be better
to bring along...
Old 07-14-2012, 11:00 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
I can also get my hands on a 3 weight if you guys think that may be better
to bring along...
A 3 weight is too light for the Truckee, but it would be fine for some local creeks. Keep in mind that many of the locals are very tight lipped about them for good reason. Water levels are kind of low.

Dennis