The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Night fishing question

I have a quick question concerning night fly fishing.

Can it be done on a no moon, a quarter moon, a half moon night or is it best on a full moon night. I remember an article on it a while back but I just cant remember the details.

I plan to attempt it this late August or early September just dunno when. It all depends on the moon.

Thanks guys!

I forgot to add, this will be for trout, if that matters.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Default Re: Night fishing question

The only night Fishing I do is in Lakes & have caught Trout on all the different moon Phases.
When Night Fishing,I find the best is anytime before a Full Moon & I always like at least a Ripple on The Water as when it's calm Fish are easily Spooked,especially on Moonlit Nights.
I have friends who won't even think about Fishing when there's a Full Moon,
others follow Barometers..

Brian.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

My best brown came on a full moon night, since then I tend to believe in night fishing... I would say any moon as long as there is some ambient light. Even with no moon you could use glowing streamers.

If you can hear them jumping you should be in luck.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish a lot at night. Not for trout, but for striped bass in salt water.
The fish always feel more comfortable when it's as dark as it can be.
When it's cloudy or around the new moon when little or no moonlight the fishing is almost always better. Even on nights when the moon rises well after dark, the fishing will shut down completely as the moon comes over the horizon and won't turn on again until the fish feel safe.

"Fishing at night" doesn't the time just after dusk either. There's little to no activity at that time until the fish adjust to the lower light levels and move to their night time feeding areas. Night fishing doesn't really turn on until around 3 hours after sun down or around midnight in the summer.

Like I said, that's stripers not trout, but you can bet that there's similarities.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I fish a lot at night as well. Especially for trout. Search Night fishing on the forum and you'll find a few threads where I have given some advice there.

Typically the more light there is from the moon, the more fish I catch, but they tend to run smaller.

When there is less light I typically catch less fish, but they all tend to run a bit larger.

Just my expercience.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Night fishing doesn't really turn on until around 3 hours after sun down or around midnight in the summer. Like I said, that's stripers not trout, but you can bet that there's similarities.
Rip that is an absolutely dead on accurate description for fishing slow water river pools for big browns where I used to fish them out West. Also, right on about the darker the better.

There was a complete "dead time" between when the small browns quit hitting shortly after sundown, and the big ones woke up hungry, of about 3 hours. I wouldn't normall leave the house for the river until 11:00 PM or so.

Tarpon, on the other hand, are more dependent on the tide flow and if it's good, the bite will start when the sun is 3 degrees or so above the horizon and continue, in spurts, for several hours or more after dark - sometimes nearly all the way through the tide. However, they too do not seem to like the full moon and are more active on darker nights provided there is not a big run of bait happening on a full moon.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, that tells me what I needed to know. Now just have to try it.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 AM

sobotkg is on a distinguished road

I know some people who really like night fishing but it creeps me out. It is harder for me to focus on fishing when I feel I should be paying closer attention to my surroundings than I do during the day.