The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 AM

sobotkg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hot days and low water, give the fish a break

Or do what some reallllly experienced older timers do (at least two I know of), dont use a hook. They feel so bad after possibly harming so many fish, and bring so many in, they just have the fly with the hook cut off or tie the fly to straight piece of metal.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 AM

mfo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
Oh man, this is really terrible to hear, because I'll be SW of Missoula for the last week of August. Please tell me Rock Creek is going to be fishable...
Rock Creek also sits in a tight canyon which helps keep some of the afternoon sun off the water. It's steep grade also provides a higher dissolved O2 content than some other local waters.It will fish fine for you, just get them back in the water quick as Dean said. Have Fun.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Montana is a state that has automatic closures that go into effect due to drought.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Drought Fishing Closure Policy

Current closures:

Drought triggers fishing restrictions in Montana

Widespread closures occurred in 2006:

Montana River Closures - Rocky Mountain Fly Forums

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobotkg View Post
Or do what some reallllly experienced older timers do (at least two I know of), dont use a hook. They feel so bad after possibly harming so many fish, and bring so many in, they just have the fly with the hook cut off or tie the fly to straight piece of metal.
This one sounds like a really nice idea just to at least get out and fish and get some tugs on your rod. Its a good idea to carry a temp gauge of some sort when fishing smaller streams helps you keep track of the water temps.