The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM

2012185 is on a distinguished road
Default Small Trout Religion?

Just curious but are there people who solely dedicated to fishing for smaller trout in smaller stream? I feel like I see this happening in the fly fishing world especially with the growing popularity of tenkara. I think its fantastic.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 PM

Poke 'Em has a spectacular aura aboutPoke 'Em has a spectacular aura aboutPoke 'Em has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Small Trout Religion?

Solely? No. I still like catching bigger fish. But I reallllly like small streams.

Click the image to open in full size.

Oh, and I've never done tenkara.
wt bash and 2012185 like this.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:26 PM

Dear God what I would do to be at a place like that. Looks fantastic! Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

For me it would not be small trout religion, but more like small stream (area) religion. When I think of fishing the first thing I think of is being at higher altitude with less people. If I can hike in for a ways and get away from a crowd it will be a lot more enjoyable than fishing right behind some one on a more popular river. Now that being said, if you want to feel some weight when you have a fish in your hand you'll be at a bigger more crowded river in most cases. And who doesn't love big fish? I think it mostly depends on the environment you want around you. Tenkara, I believe fits not only the small stream, but also the personalities of the people who fish in that style. Might be guessing though.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

i have no choice but to fish for stockers,, so im stuck with the maybe getting a fish 12 inches,, once in awhile. and only in winter stocking season.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
i have no choice but to fish for stockers,, so im stuck with the maybe getting a fish 12 inches,, once in awhile. and only in winter stocking season.
I am in the same boat when they stock them in March or so. Unfortunately I joined fly fishing too late this year to catch any. But there are some solid trout waters an hour or so from where I live. Just havent had time to make it there yet.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 AM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough

I to love catching big fish, but like others said you need to fish rivers where its a battle just to get a good hole. I enjoy little streams because of the solitude, when you are alone on the river with nothing to bother you. Some of the 6-10" are fun in the little creeks on a 0wt rod.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 AM

robby1824 is on a distinguished road

Spent time on both, and small stream is my favorite way to go. When I was younger and on big water, I would always look for the side creeks and go up them instead. Here in New Mexico it is mostly small stream except for the San Juan...and I do not like fly fishing shoulder to shoulder...hike in a little, get away, enjoy!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I'd rather fish small streams for wild trout- any day- than fish big streams. I like the quiet, the wildlife...just Mother Nature in general...
Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 AM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

Beat this; You have bushwhacked to a small brook where most fishers fear to go because it is more than 50 yds. from the road, you turn a bend in the brook and see a native brookie taking dries in a small pool, you spend half an hour working into casting position, make a 5'-10' cast and HE'S ON!

P.S. It's Fall and the males are all dressed up for the dance.

It may not be a religion in itself but, it surely brings you closer spirituality.