The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lost the biggest trout of my life

I almost remember the lost fish more than the caught fish, especially if they get off in spectacular fashion..

I know I've lost a number of 6+ pounders.. maybe larger but it's so hard to know unless they're jumping.. or you get a good view. My largest, weighhted fish is still 8#s.. and I have quite a few 6#+

Alsywas wants me to go bak see if I can get 'em next time.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The guys have you covered with their replies. If I had landed the really big fish I've hung on streamer flies over the years everyone who fly fishes would know my name. Having big fish come off the hook or going through periods when it looks like I can't buy a fish are what keeps me hopeful. I know that someday I'll have more than a sad tale of the one that came loose to tell. At least I believe that

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-28-2012, 03:57 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
Don't sweat it, it's part of fishing. I once hooked into a huge Striper(had to be in the 40lb+ range) only to have it break 65lb braid in about 30 seconds and straighten out two 2/0 trebble hooks(my bait popped up about 50yds away from where I hooked up after the fish broke me off). All I saw of the fish was a volley ball sized mouth when it ate my 8" top water plug(using gear). These things happen and it's what keeps up going back for more. You should just take it as a lesson learned and be happy you had the skill to even hook such a fish.

HAHAHA what a small world. I was on a local river here in Sacramento CA and hooked into a striper that snapped my 65lb braided line like it was 6lb mono! There are some big fish in some waters.

Op thanks for sharing enjoyed reading that little story!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 PM

redleg155 is on a distinguished road

At least you had a chance at the fish! Many will never have that. That is what I like about our pursuits.

I had a similar experience in NE Ohio a little over a year ago. Steelhead were there and completely inactive. Was high-sticking good looking runs when I thought I got hung up. I was cautios and tugged, just lightly, to set the relatively small hook (#16). Seemed like several moments went by, but I got to see a monster on the end of my line; thought a submarine was breeching the surface. Must not have hooked well as it was gone in a flash... I would guess it was at least 16 pounds, which is on the very large side for NE Ohio.

Next year...