The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 PM

justlaxin20 is on a distinguished road
Default Lost the biggest trout of my life

So every year I come up to the adirondaks to go trout fishing for a year. Normally I catch a few 20 inchers with the biggest being a hoss of a 23 inch rainbow. So this year I was out on a seculded lake in my kayak. I was throwing some small trico's with a 6 weight fly rod. I was in about 18 feet of water when the water exploded. I got a glimpse of the fish at the surface and it looked like a log. The next thing I knew I was 10 minutes into the fight and had lost over 50 yards of line. I literally was getting pulled around the lake by this fish. Then i made my fatal mistake (what i think). I jumped off the kayak when i was close to shore to fight it on land. It immediately swam right at me and i couldn't make up the line. I reeled in the rest of my line and just sat down on a log for about 10 minutes speechless. It was only 9am and I was terribly upset. I packed up my stuff and made a somber paddle back to the truck, The entire time thinking what had i hooked into? Was it a huge trout? there are small mouth in the lake but nothing that would do that to a 6 weight rod. There arent pike or muskie either. The 2 hour car ride home was worse. Had I just lost a possible record size fish?
Anyways thanks for reading, I will be back after him next year.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lost the biggest trout of my life

Any chance there are carp in the water?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:22 PM

justlaxin20 is on a distinguished road

None, I was talking to a local who has been fishing that pond for 60 years (he grew up on it) and he told me he doesn't doubt it. He said there are rainbows and browns in there that are pushing 20 lbs easy
Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

You lost the new world record trout, I caught him the other day and let him go. Not really, it happens. Don't beat yourself up over it. As long as you learned something from that, go after him again another time.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Just think the biggest trout of your life is still out there.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
it happens.
You know what? It does happen...but now you know you can hook up like that, and next time you'll do better. Learn from it and remember that you got that guy to eat your offering. That's the hardest part...be thrilled for the success you had...-Mike
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough

It can and does happen to anyone who fishes a lot. I rarely ever keep a trout I catch and I release them as quickly as I can. The only large trout I kept was a 25 inch Rainbow I caught in a lake in Colorado while belly boating and I knew they allowed bait fishing on the lake so I kept it and had it mounted. Two weeks later I was fishing Spinney Reservoir in Colorado in my belly boat and I caught a 25 inch cutbow and I was going to keep it and have it mounted and while I was removing the hook he jumped of my mesh line keeper on my belley boat and got away. At first I was upset but then I thought the fish won that day fair and square and maybe I'd catch him or another like him another day when I fish Spinney again.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

That is so cool that you caught an amazing fish like that. It is one you will remember forever. That is the great part about fishing ... the ones you catch and release or the ones that release themselves are all great memorable fish! I as well as many others have had personal best fish break us off. For me I enjoyed the thrill of hooking up with a great fish, and I hope to hook up with another one soon. Maybe I'll even get one in so I can get a picture of it.... Fun anyway!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Don't sweat it, it's part of fishing. I once hooked into a huge Striper(had to be in the 40lb+ range) only to have it break 65lb braid in about 30 seconds and straighten out two 2/0 trebble hooks(my bait popped up about 50yds away from where I hooked up after the fish broke me off). All I saw of the fish was a volley ball sized mouth when it ate my 8" top water plug(using gear). These things happen and it's what keeps up going back for more. You should just take it as a lesson learned and be happy you had the skill to even hook such a fish.

Last edited by wishiniwerfishin; 07-27-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately we all have a similar Story to tell about The One we lost, however as mentioned The Biggest Fish is Still out there waiting to be caught.
Also we all have wonderered what went wrong & what we should have done Differently,so all I can say is Bad Luck & hopefully down The Track you can Land That Beauty.
Cheers .
Brian