The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:02 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough
Default Fishing for Shad in Sacramento CA

Hey guys just gonna post some pics of this seasons shad trips. I actually got to go out 14 days and get 250 fish all shore fishing. This is all on the American River in Sacramento CA.

Here are some pics and a nice video of an cast and a hook up

I even managed to grab a sucker on a fly hahaha
Click the image to open in full size.

This is the video on my Youtube channel.

Enjoy!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing for Shad in Sacramento CA

Ahhhhh yes, Mr. Shad. One of the few things I miss about not living in Nor-Cal. Minutes from the front door to the Russian River and the runs were stellar. Not that hard to have 25 in a morning.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:28 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Ahhhhh yes, Mr. Shad. One of the few things I miss about not living in Nor-Cal. Minutes from the front door to the Russian River and the runs were stellar. Not that hard to have 25 in a morning.

Where did you live?

I used to live just behind Berry's Market there by the Hacienda bridge.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Healdsburg, a block west of the Golf Course. Subdivision was in its early stages and really thought 'hard' about purchasing right on the second Fairway. As luck would have it one of my Regional Supervisors did live on a fairway and warned me away. Asked if I Golfed?

'Yup.

'My kids collect the balls that fall in our yard, they must have 2 or 3 hundred. Like to buy some?'

'Yup, how much?'

TWENTY FIVE CENTS EACH!!!!!!

Didn't buy them all, but damned close ... which explained '36 handicap.'
Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Ahhh, I lived in Healdsburg for a few months, beautiful little town.

The place I lived longest (96 to 2001) was miles down stream from you along River Road.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:51 PM

YOU WERE A HIPPIE!

For context, 'never smoked,' well, smoked but never that 'stuff.' Next door Neighbor had an, for a lack of words?, Active 'Garden.'

Show you how 'dense' I am ... doing a Potluck (did lots of them and still correspond on a regular basis) ... "What kind of plant is that?"

HOLY SHIP!!???
Old 07-28-2012, 04:19 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

I actually got my first wild hog near Healdsburg at Hedgpeth Ranch. I have a buddy that averaged 20 a day for the 60+ days he fished and I think his best was 50+
Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
YOU WERE A HIPPIE!

For context, 'never smoked,' well, smoked but never that 'stuff.' Next door Neighbor had an, for a lack of words?, Active 'Garden.'

Show you how 'dense' I am ... doing a Potluck (did lots of them and still correspond on a regular basis) ... "What kind of plant is that?"

HOLY SHIP!!???

Nope, never was a hippie even though I may have looked like one in my younger days, the philosophy never took.

I did live in the middle of a bunch of them, and worked with a bunch of them (high end finish carpentry/woodworking). I found that I like hanging around with them, I disagree with their politics and general views but enjoy their stories.

Plus I found another use for them that I bet you have also but just never defined it.

Sandwiches... Yup, sandwiches.

I found a use for hippies in my life and that use is them making me a sandwich.

Two of the things I miss most about northern CA are the wonderful hippie sandwich shops and the fresh fruit stands.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It was one of the better seasons on the Lower American. The flows were ideal, whereas they were high over the past two season.

Good job. It seems you had a good shad season.

Dennis
Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Everyone I've heard from say that this past run was off the hook stellar.
thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the hook up vid.

Steelheader's Anonymous.