The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Cold Mountain waters and Bears!

The wife and I took some much needed time off to do some camping and fishin',in the upper section North Georgia Mountains was just what the doctor ordered! We ventured up to the upper section of Lake Burton where Moccasine Creek Camp grounds are located, alot of cold mountain streams located in this area! I ventured up a stream called Dicks creek which was very bushy with overgrowth but was able to land several nice wild Rainbows. The road being dirt and hard gravel in places and steep long stretches where 4 wheel drive would be needed if the road was wet..... all kinds of wildlife such as Mr.Black Bear 180lbs. was what we saw that evening on the stream..... wild turkeys and foxes were also saw on our trip! The following day we ventured up Wildcat creek where we landed several nice Browns and Rainbows which were fun on a dry fly. Flies of choice were #16 Adams Parchute,#16 Parachute Black Ants and a#6 Helgramite were used that day. We put 9 trout in the net in 2hours of fishing before a storm blew up........ quality water and quality fish! Another Bear was seen the next evening but of smaller size.............!
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by mcnerney; 07-22-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cold Mountain waters and Bears!

Sounds like a good trip Lambster, isn't it great to see such things?

You reminded me of a time near Nordmont PA. when I had hiked quite a ways to reach a certain pool that held some good fish. It was a warm July day and the creek was nice and cold. As I approached my honey hole I saw what at first looked like a big dog wading in my pool, it looked like a German Shepperd with black and tan on it. What I was seeing was the head of a big one. By big I'm talking all of 450 - 500 lbs. The bear was wallowing / Swimming in the pool. I hid along the bank and watched him until he tired of his swim and then scaled a small cliff with no trouble at all. Amazing what they can climb. It was cool to see him and in 20 minutes the fish were back to normal.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold Mountain waters and Bears!

Lambster: Very nice trip report and photos! Good to see you and the wife getting away from work and the stress of rebuilding your lifes!

Ard: Very interesting story!

Larry