The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ritchierich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:07 PM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough
Default First Fish on first tied Fly

Today was a pretty big "step" so to speak in my fly fishing journey. Bought a fly tying kit last wednesday and today was the first day I got to test out my flies on the river. The trout loved my zebra midgeish, (I say ISH because its not really a ZM) and I caught around 6 little browns on it, 5-10", and lost a nice one a few inches from my net which was probably in the 15-16" range.

Heres the fly they were smashing.
Click the image to open in full size.

And the first brown I caught ever on my own fly!

Off to see another day after a quick exchange.

This has definately fed my fly tying fire. Tonight Im gonna pump out some more of that pattern as the original is now destroyed. Hopefully it leads to bigger and better things.

-zack
Rip Tide and jaybo41 like this.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First Fish on first tied Fly

Congrats!!!

It only will get worst I got my first largemouth bass on a popper and the addiction will only get worst

My first fly I tied back in 2001 got me a nice salmon here in Northern Cali.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Zack, way to go! Take that still of the brown and frame the beat-up first fly with it and hang it over your tying table! I wish I knew what happened with my first time, I don't even remember what it was (probably a bugger), and it wasn't even a year ago... As winxp says, it will only get worse, but your tying will only get better!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 PM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough

I think I will actually hang it up haha! I made ten of those midges tonight and each one is progressively cleaner/better threads. My speed has also increased greatly.

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! That is a significant achievement, very well done. The only thing that has been more rewarding for me is tying a fly and giving it to your fishing buddy and watching them land fish. Keep up the great work.