The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: 2 Plus Pound Sea Run Brookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Noreaster,

Do they taste similar to salmon? Meat red or very bright orange? Just wondering, that's a nice char you've got there.

Ard
Yeah they are very red from the krill shrimp diet. They are very similar tasting to salmon. Mind you the quality and temperature of the water they are caught in,and the proximity to the ocean may vary their taste.

Here's one that is pretty darn red inside. Tasty too!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 PM

robbyz5001 is on a distinguished road

Beautiful fish.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 PM

dmzoutdoors is on a distinguished road

I know it is an old post. But you have to love how our brothers to the North avoid touching the delicate slime for a safe release
noreaster and troutnut4 like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzoutdoors View Post
I know it is an old post. But you have to love how our brothers to the North avoid touching the delicate slime for a safe release
Here in the North, the costs of groceries continues to climb. Occasionally we like to take a mess home and save a little on chicken or salmon.

Before catching this fella I released about 15 smaller fish.

This is what it usually looks like, very considerate of the slime

rockriver and baseman1 like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
You would definitely have fun. Trout numbers seem to up on the Island. Pick any river and fish the head waters. Pretty sure you'd have luck.
Noreaster, that's a great looking trout. I'm in Halifax so it's only a 3 hour drive for me. I have been over many times but have never fished. Does your season end this month for catch & keep? Ours does and September is Catch & Release ONLY. Do I need a guide or just pick up a licence? By the way, I have two of those RPL III 9 footers (5wt & a 6wt) and love them.
noreaster likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Noreaster, that's a great looking trout. I'm in Halifax so it's only a 3 hour drive for me. I have been over many times but have never fished. Does your season end this month for catch & keep? Ours does and September is Catch & Release ONLY. Do I need a guide or just pick up a licence? By the way, I have two of those RPL III 9 footers (5wt & a 6wt) and love them.
No our catch and keep season is till the end of the trout season which is around the middle of September.
How it works is that you can keep 8 fish, one of which can be I think 15 inches. Other seven must be below 15 inches, since they are the brood stock.

No guide necessary just the cost of a license. Resident is around $37.00. I think visitors pay by the week or month not sure but its fair if you're here for a weekend. I think around $25.00 you can purchase it on line too. Just search angling license Prince Edward Island and follow the links.

Yeah I love the RPL's I would love one in 8foot plus. Mine is a 7.6 inch 5 wt. which isn't bad either. Let me know if you ever want some company if you venture over. I can show you a spot or 2.

cheers

phil
Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Thanks Phil, there's always next season. I think that we are scheduled to make a trip to Rustico in September for a golf weekend but I don't think my wife and our party would appreciate me sneaking off to do any fishing. Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. Sounds like fun.
noreaster likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Sea run brookie...great fish!

I would have expected it to have lost a lot of its color and to have turned more silver.

Obviously, my experience is in steelhead, salmon and sea run cutthroat.
noreaster likes this.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
Sea run brookie...great fish!

I would have expected it to have lost a lot of its color and to have turned more silver.

Obviously, my experience is in steelhead, salmon and sea run cutthroat.
This one may have been back for a while before being caught. If you angle the trout into the light then away from the light you can see a general silvery sheen to them. The silver begins to fade the longer they are in fresh water.

This same spot I have fished in the past one day with no results and the next caught a mess of super silvery trout. Could hardly tell they were brook trout at all. Just arrived overnight it seemed.

These ones are far more silvery; obviously newer arrivals. I find it neat how some can take on a almost beige or light brown colour on their backs. Different from the forest and emerald green we usually see. This is the color of our sand. So these guys obviously were around areas with sandy bottoms when out to sea.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Yeah, those are some nice bright brookies.

The only brook trout I have caught were on a trip to Montana fishing a little river called the Thompson. They were aggressive little guys (only about 4"-5") taking stimulators about 1/3 their body length. Crazy fish!

I could only imagine the fight those guys in the picture above must have put up!
noreaster likes this.