The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 PM

buffler razz will become famous soon enough
Default Colorado Suggestions?

I am making a trip to Wyoming over Labor Day to do some backpack fishing with my sons and since they can't get the entire week off I'm thinking of heading into Colorado to fish my way back to New Mexico. It's been almost 30 years since I lived in and fished Colorado, most of that was along the front range.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan on dropping into Co around Craig and eventually making my way to 285 and south to NM. I'm flexible on routes and camping.
Thanks!
Razz
Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Colorado Suggestions?

Hello Razz,
I am not sure what part of NM you may stay, but I would recommend the San Juan river near Navajo dam. I had a trip there this summer and had a great time.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

The Arkansas below Salida is a good bet. Many of the other rivers in CO are pretty low, but the Arkansas is in pretty good shape. It is currently flowing about 400 cfs, but they will probably drop the flows out of Twin Lakes Reservoir over the next few days. Any flow above about 250 cfs is great for wading and fishing.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 PM

wolftever is on a distinguished road

I second that opinion about the Arkansas. Really, anywhere along the Arkansas River between Leadville and Buena Vista would be good fishing I would think. I fished that area for the first time last month and had a blast! The first day we found some pretty good spots on our own; the second day, a guide from ArkAnglers took us out and man, did he ever put us on some fish. ArkAnglers is the fly shop there in Buena Vista. Even if you're not interested in a guide, I'd stop by there for some friendly advice.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 AM

buffler razz will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the tips! The Arkansas would work well as I get closer to home. I am ruling out the San Juan as I can hit it on a short trip from home. I'm excited about the trip. I got back into fly fishing last year after a hiatus while living back east and chasing our kids around so this will be a fun trip. I promise to post some pictures when I get back.
Again, thanks for the tips!
Razz