The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 AM

trout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura abouttrout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Two firsts - one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by latshki View Post
awesome steelhead man!
I was in bonshaw and got a few yesterday, then went to valleyfield and hooked the biggest trout of my life, at least 30"

The amount of huge fish I saw yesterday was incredible, just incredible
my heart's thumpin just thinkin about it!
Hey Latshki....me and a buddy are heading down to bonshaw this coming weekend. This will be our first time fishing down there. Already have scouted out a few spots that we plan on checking out and have heard there are quite a few nice sized fish in the system. Any suggestions on what flies to bring / use? Mind telling me what worked for you. Wouldn't mind snapping a few more pictures filled with smiles and trouts.

I too wish the other fishermen were still lurking around when I hooked into that fish. I still believe karma played a big part in catching it. I would not have turned to a streamer if they hadn't disturbed the hole. I really just couldn't believe what they did. I'm still "new" in getting back into fishing, but I was taught at a young age that there is an unwritten rule regarding walking up on a hole that is already being fished.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Stuff like that happens all the time unfortunately, especially early in the year.
In bonshaw, I do best fishing a 14 or 16 bead head pheasant tail under an indicator in the fast water. I usually streamer fish in the slower water or use a dry, depends on if anything is rising. Favorite dries on the west for me are, elk hair caddis in many colors, smaller the better, parachute and normal adams too. Also a hopper would be good.

happy fishing
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 AM

trout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura abouttrout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the advice Latshki....it will be our first time getting our lines wet on the west river. Hopefully the scouting trip, and some of your suggested weapons will get us in to some nice fish and make all the prep work worth while. Usually I fish sections of the dunk, and although we always catch good #'s, we rarely find much in size...at least so far. I missed the beginning of the season, but hope to use the rest of the season making up for lost time.

Will definitely let you know how things go on the west...thanks again for your advice