The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Good books or DVD Steelhead Great Lakes tribs (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/294577-good-books-dvd-steelhead-great-lakes-tribs.html)

ben664 08-22-2012 11:26 AM

Good books or DVD Steelhead Great Lakes tribs

Looking for books or DVDs on steelhead fishing on the Great lake trib. (technics, places, fly shops, lodges ect)

Tons of stuff on youtube, but very short videos and few solids infos.

Have you got a good book or video you can recommends me ?

Thancks

schaef 08-23-2012 08:05 AM

Re: Good books or DVD Steelhead Great Lakes tribs

I don't know of any books or DVDs but I can help you with some information on Northeast ohio river access and patterns for the steelhead run.

Ohio Steelhead Fishing

Go down and click on the rivers mentioned to see the maps. IMO for Ohio the Grand river (when conditions are good) is my go to. Conneaut Creek has the most fish since both Ohio and PA stock it but also has the most pressure.

I usually swing streamers (buggers, emerald shiner patterns) or drift egg patterns and black stoneflies. In the dead of winter I've also had luck on PT nymphs and Prince nymphs.

jaybo41 08-23-2012 09:24 AM

What would be helpful is if you mentioned which of the Great Lakes tribs you are seeking information for. The techniques used at each can vary slightly to greatly in some cases. Also lodging info, fly shops and tribs will obviously be dependent on what locale you are interested in learning about.

ben664 08-23-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schaef (Post 478952)
I don't know of any books or DVDs but I can help you with some information on Northeast ohio river access and patterns for the steelhead run.

Ohio Steelhead Fishing

Go down and click on the rivers mentioned to see the maps. IMO for Ohio the Grand river (when conditions are good) is my go to. Conneaut Creek has the most fish since both Ohio and PA stock it but also has the most pressure.

I usually swing streamers (buggers, emerald shiner patterns) or drift egg patterns and black stoneflies. In the dead of winter I've also had luck on PT nymphs and Prince nymphs.

Thancks Schaef; I'll look close this book. I just saw on youtube a short movie on the Maitland River in Ontario, and it's just beautiful. I don't know nothing about Ohio, but sure, great Lakes aera it's just huge !

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybo41 (Post 478966)
What would be helpful is if you mentioned which of the Great Lakes tribs you are seeking information for. The techniques used at each can vary slightly to greatly in some cases. Also lodging info, fly shops and tribs will obviously be dependent on what locale you are interested in learning about.

Hey Jaybo !!

I plan a trip on the Salmon River and others smalls tribs of the lake Ontario. You're right, it seems that the fly fishing technics and season can vary from an area to an other (I saw that in Pere Marquette River, it's seems that the spring run is better than the fall run, but maybe I'm wrong !!)

I saw this book : GREAT LAKES STEELHEAD, SALMON, & TROUT: ESSENTIAL TECHNIQUES FOR FLY FISHI

and this video THE GREAT LAKES STEELHEAD CHRONICLES: AN OVERVIEW OF FLY FISHING FOR STEELH

s fontinalis 08-23-2012 01:44 PM

search for some stores in pulaski NY, whitakers is one i can think of.
there you'll find more info on SRNY

jaybo41 08-23-2012 03:45 PM

I don't have much to add on SRNY, I don't fish it but that's why I recommended mention of where you were intending on going. I know there are some forums out there specific to the Salmon River...just do some research on google. Seems from my limited reading about SR that it is an entirely different animal. I'd recommend the forums as a landing point.

I *think* both books you referenced are more general to GL tribs and not to SR. The first book I know will have a greater focus on Lake Erie more so than anything. The author is from Erie and due to his allegiance to a certain private fishing club I won't bother to look at the book, let alone buy it. Just my opinion, that's not to say I'm right.