The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Re: Trout Beads for Salmon River NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboy2222 View Post
Whilst fishing on the SR I overheard 2 guides talking.

What are they hitting?
Retro roe.
When aren't they hitting retro roe.
Salmon river special.

Its a pinkish blue. Fat Nancys sells them

Use a toothpick to stick it 1.5-2" above the hook.
Ok. What color is Retro Roe ? I can't see at the Troutbeads page
Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

It is blue.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This may not be a popular thing to post but here goes.

Don't go there! Plastic beads are as far from fly fishing as you can get. Take that from a guy who has caught plenty of trout (right up to yesterday afternoon) fishing around spawning Coho salmon using a Real fly. I have been catching good numbers of fish this fall using the same pattern that I've fished for a year strait. Call it a streamer, the Jock O' Dee, and it's taken fish every time I go out.

I could go looking for pictures and then litter this post with pictures but I'll just put one or 2 on, the first fish took a streamer fly 3 weeks ago and the little guy just yesterday.

Click the image to open in full size.

That's the Dee fly in the mouth of this one.

In an effort to stay on the topic I searched old photos that could be scanned, this is a trout from up there that I caught while living in Pennsylvania

I don't mind spin fishing, or the use of lures & bait. I think it makes perfect sense at times but using any sort of a plastic facsimile on a fly fishing rod followed by saying you were or are fly fishing in not accurate.

Just say no,

Ard
mrfzx, bradyb, wt bash and 1 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 PM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

I agree with Ard, leave the hardware for the pin and spin guys. Stick with fur and feather. You'll do well.
I don't have anything against either. I like to use my noodle rod every once in a while. I just rigged up a 8 1/2' slip float rod for my son when he gets frustrated with the fly rod. And when my dad comes with me he spin fishes. I am far from a fly only snob as one can get.

Mike

P.S. I just cured two Brown and two Salmon worth of skein last week.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This may not be a popular thing to post but here goes.

Don't go there! Plastic beads are as far from fly fishing as you can get. Take that from a guy who has caught plenty of trout (right up to yesterday afternoon) fishing around spawning Coho salmon using a Real fly. I have been catching good numbers of fish this fall using the same pattern that I've fished for a year strait. Call it a streamer, the Jock O' Dee, and it's taken fish every time I go out.

I could go looking for pictures and then litter this post with pictures but I'll just put one or 2 on, the first fish took a streamer fly 3 weeks ago and the little guy just yesterday.

That's the Dee fly in the mouth of this one.

In an effort to stay on the topic I searched old photos that could be scanned, this is a trout from up there that I caught while living in Pennsylvania

I don't mind spin fishing, or the use of lures & bait. I think it makes perfect sense at times but using any sort of a plastic facsimile on a fly fishing rod followed by saying you were or are fly fishing in not accurate.

Just say no,

Ard
Hi Ard ! I understand. But according what I understood, beads (or egg fly like Glo bug) are the only way to hook steelheads some days (maybe not !). I'm tying some flies like Glo bug with Mcfly foam, crystal meth, and some estaz. I have to tie also green caddies and other stone flies nymph.

Swinging technique, is unknow for me. I fish streamers for brown trouts in my local stream, but I think the technique is different. I never fish with a spey fly rod.

Dead drift with a nymph or egg pattern, is similar to european nymph (but I use an indicator), I would only go with bigger flies and stronger leaders.

Nice fish Ard !!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Never thought I'd be wondering where the lost art of tying egg and spawn flies went

If you really want some egg imitations, get behind that vice and tie up the prettiest globugs and sucker spawn you can. You can even veil them with some white marabou milt. Leave the beads.....take the cannolis.
joebloe likes this.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ben, I'll tie some Steelhead Hammers for you. They are my go-to fly and make me feel like I'm using something more than an egg fly. I also tie some egg-sucking stonefly patterns that achieve the same goal. If you really get frustrated you can default to the bead, but I've never had to stoop that low
ben664 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-09-2012, 04:03 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Ok. What color is Retro Roe ? I can't see at the Troutbeads page
Oh and beads solo are illegal in the flyfishing only sections of the Salmon River. Especially 2inches above the hook. And they do enforce it.
ben664 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Ben,

You don't need to use a Spey rod to swing your streamers for trout on that river. It is likely that the same methods you use in Europe will work on the Salmon River.

The hardest thing for a fly fisherman to get past is when you are trying your best to catch fish using flies while listening to all the whooping and hollering from those who are using beads or dragging the bottom with weights. I have fished the Salmon and also places here in Alaska when the bead and weight guys were hooking fish every other cast while I went without a touch. Almost always by the end of the day I will catch just as many fish as they did, it just takes longer. To fish the flies you must find the right places where the fly will work. These are not usually the deepest and swiftest runs on the river. While there will be fish stacked up in those deep runs there are also fish that are to be found in the more fly friendly waters on any river. Finding those spots and the fish that are in them is the thrill for me. While it would be cool to be the guy doing all the whooping & hollering every other cast I've seldom been that guy. I've had to work for every fish I've caught over the past 30 years or so and every year it gets a little harder, even here. Maybe if you are going to hire a guide you'll be lucky enough to find a fly fisherman who also guides. That person probably won't put you in the big deep run at Altmar but will march you along the river for a couple miles until he finds you some fish. In my thinking, that would be a guide.

Ard
ben664 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 AM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

Lake Ontario Steelhead like Glo bugs, black and purple buggers,,,,,,,

Mike