The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Re: Trout Beads for Salmon River NY

Click the image to open in full size.

I found this picture of Steelhead Hammer. Is it this one ?

Look really different to my european nymphs ! lol Thank you for the flies A J !! I hope meet you next year on the SR.

Arl, I plan to hire a guide for at least 2 entires days, maybe 3 if the conditions are difficult (low water, crowd or whatelse). Like you say, for all fishing technique and every where in the world, the key is to know where the fish is. Migratory fish must have differents behavior than all year residents fish (I suppose). Anyway, I'll stay away from beads !
Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Here some flies I made these days.

From left to right : Egg soft Milking eggs, N° 12 and 10 Tangerine, Salmon egg, and blue.

Glo Bug flies Tangerine, early girl, and chartreuse (the last, tangerine with veil)

Estaz chartreuse, orange and orange steelhead.

Crystal Meth, orange chartreuse and pink.

I'm learning tying these patterns, please help me and tell me what do you guys think ? (criticals always welcomes from experienced steelheads hookers !!)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

These guys are all correct. I I hooked up swinging an egg sucking leech on a single hand fly rod. The fish spit it out 10 seconds later. That was more rewarding than the 3 other I caught that day on beads. But fishing is fishing and beads work best, no contest. Do watch about fishing beads in fly only zones, dnr guys in civilian clothes will be watching. If you want to stay fly (get it?) maybe get some plastic eggs and stick a hook through them. Another excellent option is some tungsten bead head Glo bugs with sparsely tied wool. Do what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. You may well get skunked regardless, steel heading is rough.
Above all have fun.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM

Thanks Bakerboy.

I'll tie glo bug; estaz, soft eggs and crystal meth (eggs patterns).

Now I need to tie egg sucking leeche (in purple ?) and maybe other nymps ? Because when I'll come in november, maybe eggs patterns and streamers are enough or I need green caddis larvea and other stonefly ??
Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ben, those flies you've tied so far look good. Don't forget some actual nymph patterns (stone flies and such, especially with rubber legs in the 8-12 size range and a number of colors). Just to be clear, you're headed here next year rather than this year, correct?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-16-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Ben, those flies you've tied so far look good. Don't forget some actual nymph patterns (stone flies and such, especially with rubber legs in the 8-12 size range and a number of colors). Just to be clear, you're headed here next year rather than this year, correct?
Hi AJ !

Correct, it will be next year now. I'm too short of $$$ this year ! , but I can choose easely a week (I hear since the 2 nd week of nov. is better for steelheads, and less crowd ?)

I'll also tie regular nymphs (I don't have with rubber legs).
Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

Another Lake Ontario steelhead that took a glo-bug.

Mike
ben664 likes this.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

Ben664, I don't think you need a guide. When I fish the SR, the guides come down the river in a drift boat and stopp about 30 feet out in front of you. This annoys the crowded bank fishermen and if I was a in the boat, I would be embarrased. They also anchor at all the fish holding holes on the SR...same issue as before. I remember standing at a prime hole 2 hours before daylight to insure my good spot. 15 minutes before light, a guide floats down and drops anchor right in front of me. I have my own way of dealing with these guys, but it really takes some of the fun out of the trip.
I would say, just go to the river and you will see any access point with 30 cars in the parking lot. Go there and walk up or down to get away from the masses. Finding solitude is not possible more often than not. Talk to a fly shop owner there to get info on where to go. I would not pay a guide to float me into a spot that the guys 30 feet away walked to in 5 minutes for free.
Blue Sucker Spawn is one of my favorites there, my buddy kills with them. He is a better fisherman than me though.

Well, these are just my opinions and it doesn't mean I'm right...good luck.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiff View Post
Ben664, I don't think you need a guide. When I fish the SR, the guides come down the river in a drift boat and stopp about 30 feet out in front of you. This annoys the crowded bank fishermen and if I was a in the boat, I would be embarrased. They also anchor at all the fish holding holes on the SR...same issue as before. I remember standing at a prime hole 2 hours before daylight to insure my good spot. 15 minutes before light, a guide floats down and drops anchor right in front of me. I have my own way of dealing with these guys, but it really takes some of the fun out of the trip.
I would say, just go to the river and you will see any access point with 30 cars in the parking lot. Go there and walk up or down to get away from the masses. Finding solitude is not possible more often than not. Talk to a fly shop owner there to get info on where to go. I would not pay a guide to float me into a spot that the guys 30 feet away walked to in 5 minutes for free.
Blue Sucker Spawn is one of my favorites there, my buddy kills with them. He is a better fisherman than me though.

Well, these are just my opinions and it doesn't mean I'm right...good luck.
Hi Schiff !!

Thanks for the message.

I totaly agree with you, about the drift boat. I will rent a guide service, but only wade trip. (and I never fished from a boat).

I consider myself like a "relativly" experience fisherman (I fly fish for about 20 years), and I know how to catch fish here, in my country. BUT ! I will travel 6000 km (to SR) and I never fish steelheads, or lake run browns, and I think they have differents behaviours than all year residents fish (like my locals streams). The guide know his river, what fly using with differents water flows, and the most important, where to fish. I just don't want to ruin my trip (9 or 10 days) for a matter of "What I have to do ?? where I have to fish ? where is the river access ?" Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a 2 or 3 guided days, will help me a lot
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

I see your point of view. Not a bad choice considering all your points.
Best of luck to you and hope you have a great trip...!