The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Re: Trout Beads for Salmon River NY

Thanks Schiff !!

Maybe we will meet next year on the SR ? When I'll go there, I will let you know.

Ben
Old 11-04-2012, 03:10 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

What type and size of indicators do you use ? (thingamabobber size 3/4" ?)
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

That's the indicator I use. I like the white or yellow.

Mike
ben664 likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM

randy jones is on a distinguished road

Tangarine or cream are the best colored beads or glow bug (egg) flies. Thats what most guides use.
Large indy's work best for up here With deeper water, fast'r flows they help if extra weight is needed to get it into the strike zone.
Best Fish's,
Randy Jones
ben664 likes this.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy jones View Post
Tangarine or cream are the best colored beads or glow bug (egg) flies. Thats what most guides use.
Large indy's work best for up here With deeper water, fast'r flows they help if extra weight is needed to get it into the strike zone.
Best Fish's,
Randy Jones
Good advice ^^^ for the salmon River

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Dont be afraid to mix up the sizes also..you would be surprised at the take on larger beads.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the reply guys !

I have a lot of work ! have a look at my flies, and please tell me what are you thinking. Advices are always welcomes !

Click the image to open in full size.

Some stone flies, streamers and plastic eggs.

Glo bugs with McFly

Crystal Meth, Sucker spaw and few Estaz.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

They all look good to me. I like to have about 12 of each color and style on hand. Good luck.

Mike
ben664 likes this.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

I don't mean to revive an old post but there were some things said that i feel strongly about. Here is the deal if your going to fish an egg pattern a bead is more ethical choice and egg flies don't really have a place in a catch and release fisherman's fly box. While the percentage is still low deeply throat caught fish happen on these flies. a fraction of that get throat caught bead fishing. I think its hypocritical considering how advanced the equipment we use is, that people feel less about catching a fish on a plastic bead than when they catch them on an egg pattern.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is an official Click the image to open in full size. post.

Since the thread is back I may as well say it;

I am a fly fisherman and I do not use plastic facsimiles of bait / lead weights pinched to a leader or any type of a float / bobber or indicator. I use flies and they are very effective at catching fish in every river, creek, brook or lake I've ever fished. I do at times fish the kenai but not much any more. It is my hands on experience that about 25 - 50% of the trout I have caught in some areas there over the past few years (since the float & beads thing really took off) are all torn up around the jaws. Most wounds are to the outside of the heads and jaws. They include but are not limited to: missing jaw structure, missing eyes, and other trauma I don't see happen when I catch a fish on a trout fly such as a feather wing streamer.

Old school, stubborn, elitist, stupid, whatever I may be considered for my statements they are based on knowledge not feelings.

Sorry,

These work for me;

The black spot seen at the jaw area is the fly here, not only do they work but they work real well. No one has ever told me that it was not a fly and I can cast one darn near across the river with a Spey rod because they are not weighted.

No offense,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;