The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:35 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Trout Beads for Salmon River NY

Hey !

Soon, I'll purchase some beads from Home for a trip to SR and tribs in upstate NY.

For november fishing, what types of beads I need ? (colors and size) I think Tangerine color match with salmon eggs ? in a 6mm to 10 mm size ?

Are they effective in hight and low water level ?

And last question, what is the best way to fish with ? (number and size of split shot, hook sizes, type of tippets.) Thancks Steelheaders !!

PS: Sure on the NY state, leads split shot are forbidden ?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trout Beads for Salmon River NY

Believe it or not blue beads are a hot color in the Salmon River. Also clear.watched a guy using just a clear land 3 chromers on as many casts. Lead is prohibited in the Salmon. Try blue yarn eggs with pearl flashabou tails, deadly!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-25-2012, 01:41 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Hi The boz, ok I'll take also blue ones. For the split shot, what can we use on the SR ?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Tungstun, brass anything but lead. All the tackle stores in town(Pulaski) have alternative weights . Take your pick.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 AM

OK, about the blue beads, it was on fall or spring time ?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ben, blue seems to be a good trigger color for steelhead in both the fall AND spring. While its good to have your classic orange, peach, and chartreuse, it's definitely worthwhile to have some blue, pink, and purple in there too.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Hi AJ !!

You steel in Sweden ?? I saw in the DSR page that some chinooks enter the river ! Ready for the season ?

I just place an order on Our New "Dead Egg White" Color: OTTER'S Soft Milking Egg® patterns for fly fishing for some tangerine, apricot, blue and dead whites eggs. Blue is a strange color, what kind of egg species it imitate?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm back in the States now, the Salmon River gets fish a little bit earlier than we do, but I've heard very scattered reports of possibilities in my area as well.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 PM

midnightmoon is on a distinguished road

You cant buy lead in ny but you can use it. I just checked the regulations for the salmon river and oswego river. I live right down the road and use lead all the time. Although its recycled lead I have pulled out of the rivers during low water times.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 AM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

Whilst fishing on the SR I overheard 2 guides talking.

What are they hitting?
Retro roe.
When aren't they hitting retro roe.
Salmon river special.

Its a pinkish blue. Fat Nancys sells them

Use a toothpick to stick it 1.5-2" above the hook.