The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 03:24 PM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road
Default What size leader for large tube fly leech patterns?

I got hooked on tying tube fly leech patterns and I have an arsenal tied up ready to go after Salmon this fall. I bought a new 10wt and I'm really having trouble turning these hefty flies over on the cast (it's a bit different than my 3wt and 5wt).

The floating line is the easiest to work with, and these bunny leech patterns weigh about 46-47 grains when wet with a hook inserted - about 1/10 of an ounce. I'd like to use a fluorocarbon leader and some Xink to get the pattern down to holding Salmon.

In a 9' fluorocarbon leader, do I want a 10#, 12# or a 16# leader to turn this type of tube fly over? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What size leader for large tube fly leech patterns?

Hi,

If the flies are really large & heavy then 25 pound wouldn't be an overkill. I'm not sure which species of salmon you're fishing for but I'll assume King. What I know about casting heavy flies is that they really mess up the timing and loading of the rod; and the cast. I say this based on my most recent experience. Just a few days back I was fishing a large bunny fur Pike fly using a 9 foot nine weight. The leader was a 30 pound mono with wire tippet. Turnover was good but it felt as if I should have had a heavier line on my rod. The heavy fly had a great effect on the way the rod performed using a nine weight line.

Perhaps others will be able to shed more light on using such heavy flies. I believe that if you are going to use really heavy flies you need a heavy line and heavy leader to balance everything out. What seemed to be happening in my case, was that on the initial pickup and first back cast my rod was loading normally do to the water load when I picked up the fly and line. Any additional false cast while double hauling for distance, the heavy fly was reaching the end of the cast before the line had a chance to put load on the rod. I did the best I could by adjusting my timing and power but before I fish this way again I'm going to try over lining the rod. This may or may not help but I'll stick with my opening remark about a 25 pound leader when casting a really big heavy load. With a 10 pound I see several problems not the least may be snapping off flies while casting them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: What size leader for large tube fly leech patterns?

In my former days of sammie fishing in UPNY, i would use either 17# or 20#