The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 AM

trout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura abouttrout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura about
Talking Another couple of firsts for a newb

Well I figured I would type up another update from my rookie season of flinging flies.

Last weekend I was lucky enough to inherit my father's old fly fishing gear. This gear was bought in 1992 and used on two fishing trips and has been in storage ever since. My father is not known for his patience, and decided to stick with what he knew (spinning gear / bait fishing) After catching him up with some of the fly fishing adventures I had gotten into over the summer he suggested I take his gear and get some use out of it, seeing as to how I've got the fly fishing fever.

So, long story short, I got a new vest (which I desperately needed) plus an Orvis Battenkill 5/6 reel (made in England) and a Sage Graphite III 9' 5W GFL 590 RPL rod. Now to put this in perspective, up to this point I had only been using a $100 Walmart rod / reel combo, so yeah this was an unsuspected/awesome upgrade.

So the next day I got a buddy to tag along for a session. I wasn't able to bring the reel with me, as the line was over 20 years old, full of cracks and memory, and pretty much unusable. I grabbed my old reel and my new-to-me Sage rod and went out in the hopes of hooking into something. Well of course this would be the time to get skunked. Both of us were unable to bring any fish to hand in over 5 hours of fishing. I had problems all day with the takes. I must have had over 20 different strikes on my flies and was just unable to set the hook properly once. I even had the same fish strike my fly 3 drifts in a row without being able to get him. Not wanting to push my luck at home with the mrs. I decided to give up, skunked, but at least happy to have had a chance casting with my Sage rod. What a difference it was for me compared to my old rod.

For the next full week I was unable to sneak out and wet the line once. The anticipation was killing me. I was able to get down to the local fly shop and get my Orvis reel rigged up with new line. Decided on Rio Gold. Once that was done it was just a matter of working in some "me time" into my schedule, and wipe off the skunk from my last outing, breaking in my new gear at the same time.

Well yesterday morning I finally got my chance. Wasn't able to find anyone else able to attend, so it was a solo mission. Got up 5am and drove out to my favorite little stretch of river. There was not another soul to be seen - perfect. When I got down to the river edge I noticed a pretty distinct hatch going on. Threw on a trusty old caddis #14 and got to work. I instantly fell in love with the feel of my new setup. The combination of the rod, reel, and new line improved my presentation and casting distance quite a bit. My caddis was floating down onto the water so gently. This time, unlike the previous trip, I did not see one fish break the water. I was amazed that with all the insects flying around and dropping down onto the water that I did not see one fish rise. I decided to switch up tactics because I was damn sure not getting skunked again. Threw on a wooly bugger and pounded the banks, wading down the full stretch of water - nothing. Before heading back upstream I stopped and examined one of the pools I had just finished tossing my streamer in. I was able to see quite a few small trout, all feeding off the bottom. I made the decision to try nymphing for the first time, as streamers weren't working for me, and I still hadn't seen a fish rise all morning.

I had read up on nymphing but had never gotten around to trying it. I figured no one was around to laugh at my mistakes, and I wasn't having any luck with anything else, so why not.I had a whole assortment of nymphs to choose from, so before rigging up I picked up a rock to examine what was in the water. Threw an indicator on the line, then chose a nymph that looked close to what I had seen on the rock and then another weighted nymph (which I believe was a bead headed hare's ear) from the assortment. Crept back up on the pool I had seen fish eating in, and tossed out my tandom at almost a 45 degree angle. It took a few drifts to figure out the whole drag thing with the indicator, but on the third pass through the middle of the pool it happened. I had read quite a bit on what to look for with my indicator, but wasn't sure how it was gonna look in real life. My first strike was quite noticable, as my bobber went under. I lifted the rod, set the hook, and fish-on. Quite a big rush came over me, as I had smelled of skunk for over a week, and was now using a technique that was still foreign to me, but yet pulled it off. Brought to hand a nice little brookie to break in my new rod / reel, break the curse, and not to mention, my first fish caught with a nymph...

Click the image to open in full size.

The success seemed to continue on as I waded upstream back to my starting point. I lost count after about 10 fish, and both of the nymphs were seeing action. I had read somewhere that you aren't nymphing right until you've snagged bottom and lost flies. This happened to me about half way upstream. Lost both my flies moving from a deeper section to a shallow section. I didn't adjust my indicator placement, so I knew I only had myself to blame. Tied on another duo of flies and continued on...stopping for a minute to take a few scenery pics...

Finally I came back to the honey hole where I had started....approaching from downstream I went into ninja mode and crept up into position...casted into some prime holding grounds, and a couple seconds in to the drift - bam - fish on...biggest of the day for me.

My very next cast back in to the hole I got another first. Seen the bobber dip, and more importantly felt the tug. I instantly got excited because it felt like I had a big fish on. As I brought the line in I noticed it wasn't a big fish, but two smaller brook trout. My first double. Now, to be honest, when I went to net them, I scooped up the fish at the end of the line first, and must have caused some slack because the fish on the hook above managed to get free before I got a hand on it.....so does that still count as a double? I know I am going to count it in my books as one, but is it legitimate? Regardless, I called it a day after that, considering it an exclamation point on the trip.

Anyway, it turned out to be such an awesome day. Wished I could have had someone with to share the enjoyment, but there's just something about being on the water by yourself that is rewarding in its own way. Left the river thinking "why have I not tried nymphing before today". Now I sit at home, in anticipation for my next outing.

P.S - sorry for the long-winded nature of this post.
Hardyreels, fishiowa and williamhj like this.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Another couple of firsts for a newb

Congrats and thanks for sharing. Enjoy your journey.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Another couple of firsts for a newb

Looks like you had a good day so congrats
Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Great stuff!

The firsts are awesome and always something you remember.

P.S. I would still count that as a double
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report, isn't it interesting how the bugs can sometimes be all over yet no fish are coming up to the surface and as you discovered they were on the feed on nymphs near the bottom. Another tactic that is worth trying is to use a dry/dropper rig, we all love to catch fish on a dry but sometimes that dropper is the ticket. We all loose flies while nymphing so don't feel bad about that, it is just part of the game. As you get more experience with nymphing you will discover that not all strikes will dip the indicator under the water, look for any hesitation in the drift or sometimes a slight change in direction (like sideways). Congrats on the new outfit and the great day of fishing!

Larry

Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Nice!! I have that same Sage rod only in a 5 weight 7'6" variety. It too belonged to my Dad. I love it and instantly my fishing improved. Congrats on breaking the ice. Looks like a real nice place to fish. I just noticed you are one of the Islanders here on the forum. I knew those waters, and terrain looked familiar.

I won't bother asking where you were, but I see rainbows. East end of the island? Or maybe Morell however I hear they are getting really leader shy and well educated there. I have been dying to wet a line on the Fortune River. Ever fish it?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 AM

trout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura abouttrout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura about

actually these waters are west...the dunk to be exact. I haven't gotten too far east in my fishing travels yet. We hit up the west river once but it was a bad day to get out for fishing and that's where I got skunked. Trying to convince a buddy to hit up morrell before the season is out but he too heard the fish r getting smart there. Never heard of fishing the fortune river, but again this is only my first full season, so I have a lot to learn, including other spots to fish
noreaster likes this.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Congrats on getting the skunk off of ya. Also, good score on the equipment. I love the old Battenkill reels. I have a couple. The Sage RPL is also a classic. That outfit should bring you years of fun.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You did well all around, and you did a marvelous job of writing this all up for us to read. Nothing beats a detailed post like this, readers get the feeling that they were along for the day! Never worry over being 'Long Winded', many prefer a good read and you have hit a homer here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Great job and congrats! There's nothing like getting a double! I've only had a double a few times, but it sure is fun! In fact my last one the second fish snagged my bottom fly as I was fighting the first trout.