The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough
Default Anybody fish Yellowstone in October?

My kids have this weird school schedule and they have the first two weeks of October off. I booked a small cabin in West Yellowstone the first week of October.

I have fished Yellowstone area many times, but always in the early summer. What kind of fishing can I expect? Hopfully the weather will be ok? I will most likely be fishing the Madison, Firehole and gibbons. If amybody has any insight on tactics or flies this time of year I would appreciate it. I will definately hit one of the fly shops when I get there for advice. Thanks.

Tony
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Anybody fish Yellowstone in October?

The water should be down in the Madison at this time of year and the Brown trout will be gathered in the tail-outs. I would use large Whitlock Sculpin and my own feather wing streamers if I were there this fall. It has been some years since I fished there but I would concentrate on the Madison browns not Firehole Or Gibbon Rivers. Be sure to fish above Hebgen Lake because the browns will head up and out of the lake to spawn. Fish the riffles,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;