The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trout ID needed

I do not know enough of Steel vs Bow but that looks to be a young bow. Par marks indicating it is a younger fish and the white line can indicate a species that is wild but we have a native rainbow here in the Gunnison that has no white lines as well as stocked trout that carry the white lines that they stock in the Roaring Fork.

Pretty fish and my bet it was caught in a pretty place.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Research has indicated that in Pacific Northwest Wild Steelhead streams some native rainbows take up residence and others migrate to the sea after 2-3 years of residency. So, I'd guess it could be one or the other depending on it's future urges. The upper Elwha had a non migratory wild rainbow trout population. Now that the unpassable dam has been removed, it is believed some of these fish will head to the salt and the river will naturally recolonize with wild steelhead. Too bad a new federal hatchery is planned.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 PM

fishtheworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I do not know enough of Steel vs Bow but that looks to be a young bow. Par marks indicating it is a younger fish and the white line can indicate a species that is wild but we have a native rainbow here in the Gunnison that has no white lines as well as stocked trout that carry the white lines that they stock in the Roaring Fork.

Pretty fish and my bet it was caught in a pretty place.
Yep, its a very pretty place. Its the upper reaches of the Big Quilcene. Well away from the Hatchery, Electric Dam, and Hordes of people wrestling for space to catch a hatchery chum.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

I'm not so sure that pronounced parr marks indicate it being a steelhead. This fish has very pronounced parr marks, and lives in a stream that dries up in the desert and doesn't come anywhere close to connecting to an ocean.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Just to clarify a bit...Parr marks indicate a juvenile fish which is used for camoflauge. as the trout progresses in age, the parr marks fade. Steelhead is a type of rainbow trout, one that is migratory moving from lakes or oceans to the rivers in order to spawn.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

That is an awfully pretty little fish. There are some isolated strains of small stream rainbow that exhibit par markings into adulthood. The one from WA came from a steelhead river which, no doubt, has a resident rainbow population too. Its size with par markings made me speculate (no way to know) that it is a steelhead. Rainbow genetics are very malleable, including cutthroats, and probably every northern Pacific watershed had its own strain(s) before dams and indiscriminate stocking. This trait has also led, regrettably, to hatchery managers selectively breeding for early sexual maturity, short lifespan and docility in the hatchery environment that has led to low quality, domesticated fish being stocked in non-native rainbow habitat and worse, in wild rainbow habitat where genetic pollution quickly takes place.

[PS: I am not an ichtheologist, I just play one of TV]
Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 AM

phiten is on a distinguished road

could be a rainbow!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Par marks are not exclusive to Steel head or Rainbows. Just good ole mom nature helping the little ones get a break.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

Its a raincutt
Or a brownbow.
Or a bullbrook.

Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I read all the replies, we have rainbow trout here & we have steelhead trout. Most of the fish have the white stripe on the pelvic and annal fins but not all. I catch sea runs that have it and some that don't. The white stripe on the rainbows is sorta like the blood red adipose fin on many wild brown trout. I always used it as an indicator of the fish either being stream bred or having been there since being stocked as a juvenile. I believe every one is correct and I especially enjoyed Bakerboy's levity
newby likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;